SuperNova 2 Chuck Question
What's the difference between a Nova SuperNova 2 Chuck and a Teknatool SuperNova 2 Chuck?
(12-07-2018, 04:55 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: What's the difference between a Nova SuperNova 2 Chuck and a Teknatool SuperNova 2 Chuck?

The name, one would expect.  Teknatool is the company that makes the Nova chucks.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-07-2018, 05:12 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: The name, one would expect.  Teknatool is the company that makes the Nova chucks.

Seems putting Teknatool in the name is worth around $20.00 to Amazon.

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-07-2018, 05:18 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Seems putting Teknatool in the name is worth around $20.00 to Amazon.

Or maybe it's the included insert?
(12-07-2018, 06:15 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Or maybe it's the included insert?

That would be my answer as well.
Ahh... that makes sense!
Frank
I have a Supernova 2, purchased 10 years ago, then for a Jet mini. I never did use it for small bowls (turned a lot of spindles, however).

Now I have a Nova Saturn DVR and want to try my hand at bowls. It seems that I could do with a few accessories for the Supernova 2. Suggestions?

Also, I had a turning friend over yesterday, and he pointed out the the jaw of the Supernova is not dovetailed, but instead has a ring along the lip. Can anyone comment on this? I realise that a dovetail will hold the work piece more securely, but do I need to replace the jaw with a dovetailed one, that is, how much am I missing?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Most of the Nova chuck jaws are dovetailed, but there are a few that are not. I have a vague memory that the 50mm jaws that usually come with the SuperNova 2 has some oddities. I don't recall what and I rarely use that jaw set.

The Record chuck jaws also fit the Nova chucks. If you want a set of 30mm jaws, get the Record version. Nova decided to make their 20mm and 30mm jaws the same size for gripping a tenon. Record did it right.

The Nova pen drilling jaws can be handy for lots of other uses as well. I keep a set of them on an SN2 chuck for convenience.

One of the best accessories is a set of T-handle Allen wrenches. It amkes it so much easier to deal with that set screw that keeps the chuck from unscrewing when the lathe is in reverse.

Another nice accessory is a wrist sweat band or one of those cloth-covered hair scrunchies that women use. Put it around the chuck before mounting your blank, then use it to cover the jaws. It is so much nicer to brush up aainst the cloth than against the steel edges in a moment of carelessness.

If you do not have a TS or RAS arbor wrench that would fit the Nova spindle adapter hex, then the Nova chuck wrench is a nice-to-have if the chuck gets stubborn about coming off the spindle.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-08-2018, 08:01 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Also, I had a turning friend over yesterday, and he pointed out the the jaw of the Supernova is not dovetailed, but instead has a ring along the lip. Can anyone comment on this? I realise that a dovetail will hold the work piece more securely, but do I need to replace the jaw with a dovetailed one, that is, how much am I missing?
The interior of the 25 and 50 mm jaws are not dovetailed, so they are used in a recess.  The 75mm are dovetailed inside as well as out, and may be used on a tenon, as are the 4".  Those are the ones in my collection. The others available are described here https://www.teknatool.com/wp-content/upl...og-Web.pdf  
Advise the pin jaws, the "nifty 50" and the 75 mm as the basic set.