Tree identification help
I wasn't sure where to put this but if this end up being an Oak tree I will be making something out of it...sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

I'm fairly certain this is an Oak because I cut part of a limb and it smelled like Oak but the canopy of the tree where it's laying on the ground had a bunch of gumballs around it (there are standing gumballs where this tree is laying on the ground). 

Thank you for any help.
Very possible it's oak. Slice an inch off the end there to get some fresh meat showing and I can tell better.
However the bark looks like another species to me.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for the help.....
Looks to be infested with timber worms.
Have you seen any yellow or white worms in it?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Oaks don't have gumballs, but sweet gums do. Liquidambar styraciflua is my guess.
Sweet gum?!? ......
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-28-2018, 12:21 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Oaks don't have gumballs, but sweet gums do. Liquidambar styraciflua is my guess.

This....a leaf pic could confirm it.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-28-2018, 11:56 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks to be infested with timber worms.
Have you seen any yellow or white worms in it?

No, but all I grabbed was a log someone had cut off of the tree.  There is a bit of rot in one of the upper limbs because of a limb was removed a while ago and there was a hole in the limb of the tree.  The base is also rotted and why the tree came down in the first place but I plan on cutting that off.

I may pass on this....a lot of work just to get a long I just hate seeing something go into a fireplace.  I have to drag the log 75' to my trailer without tearing up the grass.
(12-28-2018, 12:50 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This....a leaf pic could confirm it.

That's the problem....no leafs on the tree and there are other trees around it so I have no idea.
(12-28-2018, 12:21 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Oaks don't have gumballs, but sweet gums do. Liquidambar styraciflua is my guess.

I'm leaning towards a sweet gum...apparently it has a turpentine smell when cut just like oaks.  The pastor of the church said it was an oak and it smells like oak when I cut part of it.