Multiple Romex Run in EMT Conduit
I wanted to ask the Sparky’s here. I have a wall mounted breaker panel in my garage that I would like to utilize to add several circuits to the existing wiring. It would be much easier to run several Romex cables through this than fishing through an insulated wall. Can I extend a 1 1/4” EMT into the attic and pull the coax through the EMT? I am thing 3- 15 Amp circuits. There is no inspector or code here. I just want to do it right. Thanks for any help.
Gary
I don’t believe you can do that, mainly because you’re penetrating a structural ceiling with conduit but only sleeving the NM, not finishing the entire conduit run to the next box. In which case you would use THHN/THWN/XHHW individual conductors anyway. The end of the cable has to be secured at the box, but there’s an exception with a lot of restrictions allowing conduit up to (I think) 10 ft long with approved terminations, protections, securing of the cable(s) within 1 ft, and the required sheath exposure inside the box. But I don’t have a code book handy right now. Oh, and the box has to be surface mounted, or its a different discussion.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I'm sure TDKPE is right; he always is.  But did exactly what you are talking about to run some Romex from my garage panel into the house.  Curiously, when I had a new panel installed the electrician replicated what I had done, never mentioning that it wasn't allowed by code, nor did the inspector take exception to it.  

John
(01-05-2019, 10:16 AM)GDay Wrote: I wanted to ask the Sparky’s here. I have a wall mounted breaker panel in my garage that I would like to utilize to add several circuits to the existing wiring. It would be much easier to run several Romex cables through this than fishing through an insulated wall. Can I extend a 1 1/4” EMT into the attic and pull the coax through the EMT? I am thing 3- 15 Amp circuits. There is no inspector or code here. I just want to do it right. Thanks for any help.
Gary

I was thinking it would make things too simple.
I did a similar installation, from above basement ceiling to panel in garage. At the panel I packed the conduit full of duct-seal around the romex. Passed inspection. I recently dug the duct-seal out, added another romex, and packed the duct-seal in again,

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
If there is no code enforcement the bigger question is "is it safe"? Right?

Is there any reason this is NOT safe?

Am I understanding correctly:
Conduit from panel on wall to attic.
Romex in attic.
Drop through? to wall-mounted outlets? In the wall or on the wall in conduit again???
I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be allowed to do that.

But couldn’t you run individual conductors through the conduit into a box in the attic, then transition to the Romex?

Maybe I don’t understand what you’re actually trying to achieve.
(01-05-2019, 07:15 PM)JosephP Wrote: If there is no code enforcement the bigger question is "is it safe"? Right?

Is there any reason this is NOT safe?

Am I understanding correctly:
Conduit from panel on wall to attic.
Romex in attic.
Drop through? to wall-mounted outlets? In the wall or on the wall in conduit again???

I am more than confused. I could get by with anything a normal Home Inspector would not question. My concern is my families safety.
I see what TDKPE is saying and I know I’ll regret this, but I’m going to disagree and I think stubbing to the ceiling would be allowed.

Edit to add: Read this:

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/...rom-the-br

Didn’t take long for me to regret. Lol.
(01-05-2019, 07:28 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be allowed to do that.

But couldn’t you run individual conductors through the conduit into a box in the attic, then transition to the Romex?  

Maybe I don’t understand what you’re actually trying to achieve.

Are you talking individual boxes for each circuit, or I box for 3 circuits.and wire nut the THHN to The Romex in the box or boxes? Thanks for the replies.