Another coffee table
Beautiful work, Derek.  A lifetime of learning and skill distilled into an excellent build along.  Thanks very much.  

I have a client who has a piece very similar to that. Not nearly as well made, however.

John

Cool  project.

I always observed the older furniture (the tenons to legs), the tenon ends were curved/angled to match the rounded legs, instead of flattening the leg.
Is there any advantage  in doing it your way? Quicker....etc?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-08-2019, 02:14 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool  project.

I always observed the older furniture (the tenons to legs), the tenon ends were curved/angled to match the rounded legs, instead of flattening the leg.
Is there any advantage  in doing it your way? Quicker....etc?

It depends on the thickness/diameter of the leg. With thick stock, as here, it is advantageous to flatten the face of the mortice as this is easier.

With thin legs, as with this chair, I coped the tenon to match the mortice ...

[Image: TheChairCoping_html_35515e88.jpg]

[Image: TheChairCoping_html_m51e1fa3c.jpg]

[Image: TheChairCoping_html_2df53f1e.jpg]

[Image: WeavingSeatCompletingTheChair_html_2ebf780e.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(01-08-2019, 08:10 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: It depends on the thickness/diameter of the leg. With thick stock, as here, it is advantageous to flatten the face of the mortice as this is easier.

With thin legs, as with this chair, I coped the tenon to match the mortice ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ok thanks. Just wondering there. I usually always angle the tenon to match the leg, just the way I was taught. Makes a better fit, hides the joint somewhat. I don't remember ever seeing a leg flattened that way.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Amazing work as always Derek.
(01-09-2019, 07:20 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Ok thanks. Just wondering there. I usually always angle the tenon to match the leg, just the way I was taught. Makes a better fit, hides the joint somewhat. I don't remember ever seeing a leg flattened that way.

The legs in these examples are round. The shoulders of a tenon are square. Square peg into a round ... well, not hole, but you get the drift.
Smile

Angling the tenon is a given. It is what you do with the shoulders.

Here is a link to an article by Garrett Hack, but his tapered legs are square:  https://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdffr...-table.pdf

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Exemplary work, Derek!
[Image: giphy.gif]
(01-10-2019, 12:07 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The legs in these examples are round. The shoulders of a tenon are square. Square peg into a round ... well, not hole, but you get the drift.
Smile

Angling the tenon is a given. It is what you do with the shoulders.

Here is a link to an article by Garrett Hack, but his tapered legs are square:  https://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdffr...-table.pdf

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes
Yes
Yes
I should have said angling the shoulder.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I haven't stopped by here in a long time. Nice to see such beautiful work with so much detail provided.

Thanks
See ya later,
Bill
(01-10-2019, 10:55 PM)Bill_de Wrote: I haven't stopped by here in a long time. Nice to see such beautiful work with so much detail provided.

Thanks

+1
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020