American Woodshop
I know this much, Scott Phillips is making money in woodworking and I am not.
He has a wonderful wife and I have no one.
2 for 2 in my book.
More power to him.
Ag
(01-11-2019, 07:18 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: One thing about New Yankee Workshop/This Old House is that the originator, Russell Morash had a background in theatre and TV production prior to his iconic shows. I suspect the producer/director(s) of American Woodshop don't.

That producer/director would be Scott himself.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Boo Hoo, He doesn't make the kind of projects some of you hens consider true woodworking. If some of you do not like it quit your cackling and go create your own woodworking show and lets see if it gets out there. 

BTW, kudos to Handi, Derek Cohen, Stumpy Nubs, Matthias Wandel, and all the other woodworking creators for doing just that. They are out there creating instead of just cackling with the rest of us in the hen house.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-12-2019, 08:32 AM)KyleD Wrote: Boo Hoo, He doesn't make the kind of projects some of you hens consider true woodworking. If some of you do not like it quit your cackling and go create your own woodworking show and lets see if it gets out there. 

BTW, kudos to Handi, Derek Cohen, Stumpy Nubs, Matthias Wandel, and all the other woodworking creators for doing just that. They are out there creating instead of just cackling with the rest of us in the hen house.

Are you cackling about the cacklers?
(01-12-2019, 11:10 AM)danceswithticks Wrote: Are you cackling about the cacklers?

Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-12-2019, 11:10 AM)danceswithticks Wrote: Are you cackling about the cacklers?

Winkgrin
Seem to recall a lot of these same comments when Norm was on.   What's funny is you get these type comments regarding a lot of the pro bass fisherman "So and so is better than X, why isn't he a pro?"  The real answer is it is has very little to do with your ability to fish and a lot to do with your ability to market.  Market yourself to sponsors and market sponsors to the public.  I suspect very much the same with PBS shows.  The interesting thing with YouTube is it now gives a lot more people the chance to "go for it" (April Wilkerson for example) who most likely would never  have gotten a chance on regular TV.

As for Scott, I got to meet him years ago when his show was just starting.  He seemed like a down to earth guy who was just a bit awkward.  The way most of us would actually be rather than they way we imagine ourselves to be.  Of course I always imagined myself as better looking version of Dean Johnson with more girlfriends than Norm has routers.  Never mind that in reality I was more like one of Norm's routers -- stuffed in a drawer and covered in dust.
(01-12-2019, 12:00 PM)tnff Wrote: on regular TV.

What is it?

No TV watching for more than a decade, and everything is done or watched through my mobile/tablet devices. Still getting  calls from cables if I am interested in their FREE cable service (for 6 months or something like that).

Content producers love to hear feedback from their viewers and that's how many improve. Non-malicious "crackling" should be welcome.
Big Grin

Simon
(01-12-2019, 01:07 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: What is it?

No TV watching for more than a decade, and everything is done or watched through my mobile/tablet devices. Still getting  calls from cables if I am interested in their FREE cable service (for 6 months or something like that).

Content producers love to hear feedback from their viewers and that's how many improve. Non-malicious "crackling" should be welcome.
Big Grin

Simon

Why are you cackling about crackling?

Feedback is good but are we really the target audience for the American Woodshop?
There is a large subset of general DIYers out there. To these people woodworking is a means to an end rather than the end in itself. This audience may be the one American Woodshop is looking for feedback from.
(01-12-2019, 02:51 PM)KyleD Wrote: Why are you cackling about crackling?

Feedback is good but are we really the target audience for the American Woodshop?

Now you know mobile devices have their cons as compared to a full size keyboard!
Cool Auto-spell is a nice feature...until it does not work as intended. I have greeted an audience with "Hell" instead of "Hello" before, so I know how bad my thumbs sometimes can be. Well, still not going back to the TV days though.

Who knows? May be Scott is a member on this Forum, or someone who he knows is and feeds him our opinions. The point, of course, is that in any free forums, people should be encouraged to voice their relevant views even if they are never heard outside the forums or theirs don't reach the intended audience.

Simon