Dovetail sawing guide
(01-12-2019, 03:45 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: Why should a person draw conclusions to a simple asked question. Either you knew where to get one or you don't. You didn't need any information, you don't need to know my background, length of time I have been woodworking (48 years ) Skill level .

What part of where can I get one don't you understand? I didn't ask for (you are doing it all wrong, my way is better because I know it all)  simply because you feel you have the right. 

And this is not the first time you have been negative toward me. The last time I I posted that I got a good deal on a marking gauge and where it could be gotten if anyone was interested. And I was told by you that I couldn't post something like that without expecting some negative comments about it after you posted a picture of you 5 or 6 marking gauges. 

So again to those who can understand I ask, What part of where can I get one don't he understand? Don't bother answering because I will not bother to ever check this post again, not worth my time. 

Tom

My fault I started it.  Don't know everybody here and your screen name is TABLESAWTOM! I apologize Tom.

Also, without discussing personalities I have a few things to offer:

1) I personally know many very fine woodworkers, pro woodworkers, including lecturers, teachers, and writers who don't know how to use a hand saw, let alone a DT.  Not doubting Tom's expertise. But one can't assume an experienced woodworker is a skilled Sawyer. 

2) 20 years of ww forum (and news group) participation.  People ask IMPERFECT questions to web forums about subjects they maybe don't know much about. I agree with Simon; I think its valuable to get varied responses, generally on topic. Its not always easy to figure out everyone's skill level, either in person or on the web (which is worse).

3) Last, if an OP doesn't find my opinion helpful for example, that doesn't mean someone else won't. OPs don't own threads, and threads don't exist solely for the benefit of the OP. Remember, we get to chat here because the stuff we chat about attracts eyeballs to the site that produces ad revenue for our host. 

So apologies for causing trouble.  I'm sorry Tom. I'm not sure where to buy the DT jig you are after. Hereafter, the 1000's of people who find this thread because they are looking to buy a DT jig will know at least that Simon and I (whoever we are) recommend against them. Fair enough?
I decided to come back and finish what I started.

I would like to thank  Philip 1231  for having the computer expertise not only to post a link to the web sight I needed, but also the YouTube video pertaining to both jigs I asked about. I had seen the video before I even posted my question. I found it informative and I hope others who may have watched it did also.

I wanted to let everyone know that I did purchase the Katz-Moses jig and I also got it on sale. I am looking forward to spending some quality time with my Grandson and passing along my love for woodworking. I am not a very good searcher on the internet and I had drawn a blank and I did get the answer that I needed so all is well that ends well

Thank,

Tom
Glad to see a happy ending here.
Simon
(01-13-2019, 08:13 AM)Latech15 Wrote: The story went something like this - Called about an add for a jointer listed for $2K that was a fair price.  Offered $1,200.  Seller said no.  Seller called back a week later said ok to the $1,200 - he countered at $850.  Seller was obviously in a bind so he took the offer.  I can tell you how I would feel if that was me. Obviously the seller didn't have to take the offer, but in the video, he actually points out that you should look for a seller who is in a bind or has a deadline.  Just bad business on his part and the fact that he advertises and brags about how he did it sickens me.   

I have not watched the video you described, and I don't know the background to the story. But taking your description alone, I would say he was trying to get the best he could. It is hard to say right or wrong when people do that, but I would have been very happy to take the $1200 offer had the seller called back. Counter-offering with an even lower bid was a low ball in my book, and I would not do it. I should add that if I were that seller and were offered $850, I would say my offer was now $1500 since he re-opened up the price negotiation. I am that kind of person.

I had encountered something similar with a CL seller. I called and the seller accepted my counter bid. But he called back an hour later to tell me that he wanted his original asking price because he had got a few more responses. I told him I would not do business with someone who broke his promise, and said goodbye. We all have a choice, and I have a low opinion of any stranger who breaks a promise, unless the circumstances are exceptional.

Simon
(01-13-2019, 08:25 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: My fault I started it.  Don't know everybody here and your screen name is TABLESAWTOM! I apologize Tom.

Also, without discussing personalities I have a few things to offer:

1) I personally know many very fine woodworkers, pro woodworkers, including lecturers, teachers, and writers who don't know how to use a hand saw, let alone a DT.  Not doubting Tom's expertise. But one can't assume an experienced woodworker is a skilled Sawyer. 

2) 20 years of ww forum (and news group) participation.  People ask IMPERFECT questions to web forums about subjects they maybe don't know much about. I agree with Simon, think its valuable to get varied responses, generally on topic. Its not always easy to figure out everyone's skill level, either in person or on the web (which is worse).

3) Last, if an OP doesn't find my opinion helpful for example, that doesn't mean someone else won't. OPs don't own threads, and threads don't exist solely for the benefit of the OP. Remember, we get to chat here because the stuff we chat about attracts eyeballs to the site that produces ad revenue for our host. 

So apologies for causing trouble.  I'm sorry Tom. I'm not sure where to buy the DT jig you are after. Hereafter, the 1000's of people who find this thread because they are looking to buy a DT jig will know at least that Simon and I (whoever we are) recommend against them. Fair enough?
I didn't find fault with you encouraging me to re-think buying the jig.  Given the information you had, I took it as some helpful advise. 

OPs don't own threads, and threads don't exist solely for the benefit of the OP. True, but in my day, it was considered polite to stay on the subject matter which in this case is where. You are wrong and my way is the only way to do it and my thumb is my guide does is not, and I repeat, is not relative to the subject matter which is Where. If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.  Having to right, as some seem to think they have, to say anything they want to doesn't give them a licences to do so. It is not what goes into a person' mouth, that defiles him it is what comes out of the mouth that defiles him, whether by word or print. 

If you wish to discuss the merits of hand cutting dovetails start a post and I will chime in. But I will be polite in doing so. Merits of and where are tow different dogs.

I defend you right to chat, I defend your right feel strongly about what a person wants to say, but there is a time and a place for it and the subject matter didn't warrant any of what was written. What you have here is a 73 year old man, who is not very good on a computer, who could't think of where else to look for an item, asking for help so he and his grandson could spend some time quality time doing what this forum is supposed to be all about, woodworking. And I am a shamed of what I see.

Tom
(01-09-2019, 12:04 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: I'd think long and hard about that purchase. I believe those DT guides are a solution to a problem created by woodworkers who promoted and taught non traditional sawing techniques. I don't think much about right and wrong woodworking but there are approaches that lead to one problem after another. The simple solution is to saw the corners out.  Never start any saw cut with the blade resting on a flat surface. Even a circular saw or table saw start the cut at a corner.

For woodworkers with full use of their hands, good eyesight, and reasonable dexterity, I'd agree with you.  Many don't, and I think that's where guides come in handy.  I don't see the use of a guide any more egregious than using a bandsaw.  You get similar results.  Another reason to use a guide is if you have a severe astigmatism.  Even with glasses, it's hard to get perfect alignment getting a cut started, especially when tilting your saw.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill