Moravhttps://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7345663ian Workbench
I saw a YouTube video with a person demonstrating the uses of a Moravian workbench  in which he stated that it was portable. And I have, several times, wished for a portable woodworking bench. Yes, I know I can build a portable work bench but a Moravian workbench would make a statement. 

And before we go down a road I do not wish to go down again here are a couple pictures of my bench in my shop.

I saw an article in a woodworking magazine a sort time ago featuring the building if a Moravian workbench. I dismissed it at the time but later decided that maybe it is just what I want. Unfortunately the only magazine I keep is Woodsmith and I threw away the magazine, and I do not have a clue which one it is in. Can someone help me out and let me know where I can find the article. 

Tom
Google isn't bringing up anything from Woodsmith.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

PWW maybe

[Image: MoravianBenchDVDCover-211x300.jpg]

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(01-13-2019, 05:26 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: PWW maybe

[Image: MoravianBenchDVDCover-211x300.jpg]

I am sorry I didn't make myself clear I save Woodsmith and it wasn't in their magazine or I would have had it. But the picture in the post above looks exactly like what I am looking for. Is that Popular woodworking or just woodworking?

Thank you for responding.

Tom
The style of that bench seems very well thought out.  The angles really make it look like it would be solid.
I think I remember Wood and Shop on YouTube featuring a Moravian bench build in Roy Underhill's shop.
Might wanna look for that.
Ag
(01-13-2019, 06:03 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I am sorry I didn't make myself clear I save Woodsmith and it wasn't in their magazine or I would have had it.  But the picture in the post above looks exactly like what I am looking for. Is that Popular woodworking or just woodworking?

Thank you for responding.

Tom

Tom:  Measured Drawing is here:  https://woodandshop.com/wp-content/uploa...-Myers.pdf

More information and pictures are here:  https://woodandshop.com/moravianworkbench/

They also sell a DVD.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-13-2019, 09:29 PM)Admiral Wrote: Tom:  Measured Drawing is here:  https://woodandshop.com/wp-content/uploa...-Myers.pdf

More information and pictures are here:  https://woodandshop.com/moravianworkbench/

They also sell a DVD.

Thanks for the measured drawing. That covers everything I need. The total height is just about right for me. I have to check my bench for sure. i built a temp. bench and played with the height. I stand on a rubber mat. And believe it or not even the height of the mat to the top of the bench is important in the overall sceam  of things . The leg angle must have been a ratio or something to come up with 106. 31 angle.  I will have to trig it out because I am thinking a 15 degree  off from 90  degree angle would be much easier to work with. ( 105.

Thanks again for the help and drawings. Now I don have to chase down a magazine.

Tom
(01-14-2019, 02:35 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: The leg angle must have been a ratio or something to come up with 106. 31 angle.  I will have to trig it out because I am thinking a 15 degree  off from 90  degree angle would be much easier to work with. ( 105.

105 deg makes a whole lot more sense.  More likely than a ratio is that they took the measurement directly from the antique bench, and I bet that the guy that originally made it back in the day just clamped some wood at an angle until he found an angle that worked for him, it probably was 105, but when he was marking the wood the clamp slipped so now we make it 106.31!!  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-14-2019, 03:39 PM)Admiral Wrote: 105 deg makes a whole lot more sense.  More likely than a ratio is that they took the measurement directly from the antique bench, and I bet that the guy that originally made it back in the day just clamped some wood at an angle until he found an angle that worked for him, it probably was 105, but when he was marking the wood the clamp slipped so now we make it 106.31!!  
Laugh

106 is neither here or there, but .31?  1/2 of a degree would be .5 even though 30 minutes would be 1/2 of a degree. .31 is given in decimal degrees not a fraction.  I have to agree with you or perhaps weight on the bench over time, or a saw cut. I think it says a lot about the person who made it originally. To come up with the idea and to be that close using nothing but hand tools is fa nominal. I plan on building the bench using 15 degrees as the angle. And when it is all said and done, with all of the accumulation of tolerances and such,  I don't think I will really care if it is 15 degrees or 16.31. In fact I would be highly surprised.

Tom