Best/inexpensive source for files
Hello,

I'm looking to replace some of my metal working files.  

I have had great success with Nicholson files but the brand name isn't important.

What's your favorite source for quality (without spending too much) metal working files?
Peter

My "day job"
(02-13-2019, 11:50 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello,

I'm looking to replace some of my metal working files.  

I have had great success with Nicholson files but the brand name isn't important.

What's your favorite source for quality (without spending too much) metal working files?

I've had great luck with these guys.

Harry Boggs' place

You can (or could, last time I checked) send in your old, dull file for sharpening, or tell them what you need and get the sharpest file you have ever used.

Thanks for reminding me. I need to send a few in.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I have had very sharp ones loose their edge quickly, and not so sharp ones keep an edge for what seems like forever. Keeping them clean is the biggest chore.
I have no idea what brand my old ones are- I wish I knew since they have lasted so long yet have kept their edge well.

Old USA made Nicherson.
Grobet is very good.
Affordable? Probably Simonds.
I have been searching out some weird files lately and in contact with Slav Jelesijevich (woodnetter) for a few. I would look for quality over price. I have had a few metal files that were not flat. Hard to joint a saw blade or get a flat surface with a curved file.

I am currently looking for a crossing file which is similar to a half round file that runs to a point, but a crossing file is rounded on both faces with one side having a larger radius. I have found one online, but they at $60+ There are also some that are advertised as a crossing file, but are not. Got to tread carefully when looking for files online.

Edited to add: I would look in local mom & pop hardware stores for new old stock stuff that you can examine for straightness/quality. I have a old school type builder's supply store that has all sorts of old stock tools that you can't find in the big box stores
(02-13-2019, 01:43 PM)Scoony Wrote: I have been searching out some weird files lately and in contact with Slav Jelesijevich (woodnetter) for a few.  I would look for quality over price. I have had a few metal files that were not flat. Hard to joint a saw blade  or get a flat surface with a curved file.

I am currently looking for a crossing file which is similar to a half round file that runs to a point, but a crossing file is rounded on both faces with one side having a larger radius. I have found one online, but they at $60+  There are also some that are advertised as a crossing file, but are not. Got to tread carefully when looking for files online.

Edited to add: I would look in local mom & pop hardware stores for new old stock stuff that you can examine for straightness/quality.  I have a old school type builder's supply store that has all sorts of old stock tools that you can't find in the big box stores

I wish we had those types of hardware stores in this part of the world.

I was so disappointed when I moved here that at that we have are the big box hardware stores.  I can't find a decent local mom & pop hardware store anywhere near me.

Is Slav still selling files?

He was my source for when I first got my current batch of files and rasps.
Peter

My "day job"
(02-13-2019, 11:57 AM)Aram Wrote: I've had great luck with these guys.

Harry Boggs' place

You can (or could, last time I checked) send in your old, dull file for sharpening, or tell them what you need and get the sharpest file you have ever used.

Thanks for reminding me. I need to send a few in.

Their prices on the new ones are incredible.

I think I might order a few new ones and then send in my dull ones.

Files and rasps are one of those tools where I like a lot of. 
Crazy
Peter

My "day job"
(02-13-2019, 02:22 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Is Slav still selling files?

He was my source for when I first got my current batch of files and rasps.

I honestly don't know if he's selling, but I do know he's still got a quite a few on hand...
Winkgrin 

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(02-13-2019, 02:25 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Their prices on the new ones are incredible.

I know! Less $ than off-the-shelf junk from the hardware store, and a revelation to use. Good people too.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Ace hardware has some good ones to and should be local
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-13-2019, 10:06 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Ace hardware has some good ones to and should be local

Oh man, I wish.

We just don't have a decent "local" hardware store in my area.  
I don't understand.

All that there are are the big box stores.  The closest Ace is 20 miles away.

Maybe I'll swing by next time I'm in the city.
Peter

My "day job"