Broad hatchets
I've got a right-handed broad hatchet, which I've used some, in spite of being left-handed, and found useful for things like removing an inch from the edge of a board.  I'm reluctant to cut off the perfectly good handle to change hands, and was pleased when, a while back, I picked up another one, a Plumb that weighs about 2-3/4 pounds, with a stub handle.  I've been too busy to put a new handle on it as a left-handed tool, though.

In a recent garage cleanout, I scored yet another broad hatchet, this one set up left-handed and with a decent (not great, but decent) handle.  It's noticeably thinner, smaller, and lighter, though, than either of the other two.  It's also noticeably scruffier, so I haven't found the maker's name.  It would require major work; it appears to have been used to trim concrete posts or elephant bones, and I'd have to regrind back 3/4" or so and establish a new bevel before I could begin to sharpen it.

My question today: what are the tradeoffs of weight in a broad hatchet?  Is lighter or heavier better?  If the heavier Plumb is what I should have, I won't waste time with the new one but will let some future buyer at the Habitat ReStore have that joy; but, obviously, if a lighter one has some virtues, it stays.
Bill -

I have a couple hatchets, but I find I don't have the strength to use the heavier one with much accuracy or for very long.

https://photos.google.com/search/hatchet...EnxEsvfqAZ

The smaller one is from Robin Wood in the UK.  I find I can use it longer and hit what I'm aiming at.  It doesn't cut as deep, but that's okay.  I have the time.
Wink

Phil
Thanks, Phil.  I couldn't see your picture (the link wanted me to log into something), but your comments help.  I've pretty well decided to keep the new one and, when time permits, try out both to see which works best for me.
(02-22-2019, 12:02 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Thanks, Phil.  I couldn't see your picture (the link wanted me to log into something), but your comments help.  I've pretty well decided to keep the new one and, when time permits, try out both to see which works best for me.

Lets try this -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vA3R8KYKognTUrwa6

It doesn't seem that pasting a photo here should be such a mystery.
Upset
(02-22-2019, 01:28 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Lets try this -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vA3R8KYKognTUrwa6

It doesn't seem that pasting a photo here should be such a mystery.
Upset
Yep, that worked.  Remember: computers make ours lives easier.

Nice looking hatchets.
When you swing an axe or broad axe or hatchet it should be the weight and momentum of the head that does the job with the hand and arm guiding it in the right direction without much effort.

In order to work for a long time without overloading the arm you need to grip the handle far enough from the head. If the head is heavier you end up gripping the handle further out to get a healthy swing and therefore you need a longer handle.
This in turn reduces your ability to work accurately on small workpieces.
For a short while one can work accurately on small workpieces with a large axe but it will be just as tiring and hard on the body as Phil.S. has experienced. Using the same axe with bigger swings when roughing out a larger workpiece will not make you by far as tired.

Axe work requires a bit of training but once it has gone into your muscle memory you will be able to work bort rapidly and accurately.

So...... keep all axes. Each has it's use.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(02-22-2019, 03:19 PM)TGW Wrote: So...... keep all axes. Each has it's use.

Oh, good, I can quote you when someone questions why I have six or so hatchets.
(02-22-2019, 04:06 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Oh, good, I can quote you when someone questions why I have six or so hatchets.

Feel free to quote me for each and every one!
6 hatchets is just about as many as you need in use...... then you need some spares in case one gets lost.
You know me from another forum (yep that mad Swede from Finland) and know that I have worked restoring log buildings..... if that improves my value as reference
Big Grin
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(02-22-2019, 03:09 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Yep, that worked.  Remember: computers make ours lives easier.

Nice looking hatchets.

My dad called them "confusers".
Laugh
(02-21-2019, 06:11 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: My question today: what are the tradeoffs of weight in a broad hatchet?  Is lighter or heavier better?  If the heavier Plumb is what I should have, I won't waste time with the new one but will let some future buyer at the Habitat ReStore have that joy; but, obviously, if a lighter one has some virtues, it stays.

Bill are you talking about carving hatches?  I would say have both a heavy and light one.  The heavy one will take less effort to remove wood and the lighter one would be more of a finishing one to take light passes and clean up.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.