left tilt === right tilt
A question on this.  

My fence can be mounted on either side of the locking bar.  That means I can cut on the left side of the fence (normal) or I could cut on the right side of the fence (something I have yet to do).

There are times when cutting 45 degree cuts on the table saw, where it would appear to be safer to make the cut on the right side of the fence. 

Is this a safe practice?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Yep, its's safe. But I suspect that to most of us (including me) it felt a little awkward the first few times I did it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The major drawbacks of a right tilt saw is the lack of saw top work space left of the blade, the absence of a miter gauge slot, and whether the fence can be used on the left of the blade.

My Rigid TS2424 contractor saw(left tilt) has a miter slot on both sides of the blade and the fence works on both sides. There is about 10" less work space on the right versus the left.

I prefer the left tilt mainly because of the ability to see the cut line/blade.

A bigger problem for me is using a left side blade circular saw. Everything done with a left blade circular saw is opposite. You need to cut from the left side of a board to use the saw correctly. 40+ years of habit(right blade circ. saws) was difficult to change.
(02-27-2019, 02:49 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: The major drawbacks of a right tilt saw is the lack of saw top work space left of the blade, the absence of a miter gauge slot, and whether the fence can be used on the left of the blade.

My Rigid TS2424 contractor saw(left tilt) has a miter slot on both sides of the blade and the fence works on both sides. There is about 10" less work space on the right versus the left.

I prefer the left tilt mainly because of the ability to see the cut line/blade.

A bigger problem for me is using a left side blade circular saw. Everything done with a left blade circular saw is opposite. You need to cut from the left side of a board to use the saw correctly. 40+ years of habit(right blade circ. saws) was difficult to change.

My RT Unisaw has a miter slot on both sides of the blade; no different than my LT Craftsman.  

Curious, I prefer a left side blade circular saw precisely because I can better see the cut line.  Just seems more natural to me being right handed.  I always thought the right side blade circular saw must have been invented by a left handed person as revenge on right handed people.  

John
Don't know.  Have never used a left tilt saw.  Started carpenter career in 1961.  Right tilt saw has done for me, what needed to be done.

(02-27-2019, 03:54 PM)ronlaughlin Wrote: Don't know.  Have never used a left  tilt saw.  Started carpenter career in 1961.  Right tilt saw has done for me, what needed to be done.
Yeah, and my Dad was satisfied with his Gillette Thins until the Gillette Blue blades came along.  Progress.
Smile
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
would a Delta Unisaw Grand Edition ..  3 HP, 10 inch, right tilt cabinet saw with 52 inch extension. Has wheel kit, over arm blade guard with vacuum fitting, extra blades, Dado kit, and many other accessories. be worth $1200
(02-27-2019, 05:44 PM)Buckhunter Wrote: would a Delta Unisaw Grand Edition ..  3 HP, 10 inch, right tilt cabinet saw with 52 inch extension. Has wheel kit, over arm blade guard with vacuum fitting, extra blades, Dado kit, and many other accessories. be worth $1200

Here's what some folks thought about it:  Link

John
The thing about the right-tilt Unisaw with uniFence is it’s a breeze to convert the fence from right side to left when you need to rip a 45-degree bevel along the edge of a board.

Here’s mine:

[Image: 1_uni2.jpg]

I paid $950 including the HTC mobile base and HTC fold-down outfeed roller system.

Winkgrin
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(02-27-2019, 04:28 PM)Cooler Wrote: Yeah, and my Dad was satisfied with his Gillette Thins until the Gillette Blue blades came along.  Progress.
Smile

Just pointing out to the OP that a good price on a used right tilt saw is worth a look.  Evidently my post was too esoteric.

Whether or not the left tilt is progress, is evidently  being debated; i don't have an opinion.