WT Bandsaw - Retirement Light added (pics)
(03-06-2019, 12:41 PM)Tapper Wrote: Reposted in WW Tools section - tried to delete with no luck.

Doug

So essentially you are just running the saw, plus a light?  I can't see this being a problem, unless you put some 500 w incandescent light bulb.

Are you using the original wire that came with the saw?  What gauge wire is it?  If it's a 20amp circuit, i'd say your wire to the wall is the most important piece here.

Colin
(03-06-2019, 12:41 PM)Tapper Wrote: Reposted in WW Tools section - tried to delete with no luck.

Doug

Not even close to an EE, but using an LED bulb, assuming your lamp accepts a conventional bulb, should eliminate any concern...
(03-08-2019, 12:56 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: So essentially you are just running the saw, plus a light?  I can't see this being a problem, unless you put some 500 w incandescent light bulb.

Are you using the original wire that came with the saw?  What gauge wire is it?  If it's a 20amp circuit, i'd say your wire to the wall is the most important piece here.

Colin

Bought the wire today at Home Depot; matched the wire on the motor, which is 12 gauge stranded wire, hot, neutral and ground. Will post some pics in a couple of days when I'm finished with the job. Will be used on a 20 amp circuit.

Thanks to all,

Doug
(03-09-2019, 12:43 AM)Tapper Wrote: Bought the wire today at Home Depot; matched the wire on the motor, which is 12 gauge stranded wire, hot, neutral and ground. Will post some pics in a couple of days when I'm finished with the job. Will be used on a 20 amp circuit.

Thanks to all,

Doug

Was able to get the installation done today and am pleased with the results. Pics.......

[Image: 47331622241_447b9df830.jpg]
Here are the components that make up the assembly. The bolt was sawed in half to be used as dowels (you'll see the reason later). Wooden piece was fabricated as the interface and was painted the same color as the saw.

[Image: 47331623811_c7d61e1ebb.jpg]
I tapped a 1/4 - 20 hole in one end of each dowel. They are attached to the now painted wooden block with screws to be used as a base. The horizontal bolt on the right was already there. This boss is on the left hand side of the saw and was already there also, with the two 3/4" holes that the bolt/dowels slide into.

[Image: 46608464244_a8cb898e9b.jpg]

Assembly installed with bolts/dowels slid snuggly and flush in place, set screw (bolt) tightened down, and  and receptacle installed and cord wired in. Very solid installation with no wiggle. Motor is plugged in and it actually works.

[Image: 47331623221_32716e2256.jpg]
Decided to install a hook to hang the cords on, including the power cord when saw not in use. Picked up the hook at HD for a "song" (brushed nickel) and made the wooden interface.

[Image: 46608463614_5b66015d2c.jpg]

Hook installed. The raised boss was already on the saw. I tapped another 1/4 - 20 hole in the middle of it to attach the wooden interface piece and then attached the hook to the interface. This tapped hole was the only modification I made to the saw that is not reversible. 

Now on to installation of this little beauty......

[Image: 46608463104_4689290e1b.jpg]

Have an idea for an installation that will not require modification to the saw (we'll see how it works out). Plan to do some polishing and will replace the cord with a more "period correct" and longer one that will be threaded around the upper frame arm and plug into the other side of the electrical box.

Thanks for looking!

Doug
Seems like a clean solution to bring power to the saw.  I may have missed it, but were these threaded holes already on the frame?  If so, what were they originally for?

(03-09-2019, 06:14 PM)Tapper Wrote: Now on to installation of this little beauty......

Have an idea for an installation that will not require modification to the saw (we'll see how it works out). Plan to do some polishing and will replace the cord with a more "period correct" and longer one that will be threaded around the upper frame arm and plug into the other side of the electrical box.

I had to replace the socket on the last one I found.  The rotary switch just got too hincky.  Fortunately, they're readily available, and cheap.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My favorite lights. Light where you need it the most.
(03-11-2019, 09:19 AM)Cian Wrote: Seems like a clean solution to bring power to the saw.  I may have missed it, but were these threaded holes already on the frame?  If so, what were they originally for?

Good question - the holes are not threaded. There are pictures online over at Vintage Machinery of a motor mounted on a base that is supported with two 3/4" rods that slide into these holes. My saw, according to the badging, was a wood/metal saw, which required a gearbox to switch from one to the other. I have the saw set up for woodworking only (no gearbox). I just decided to use this area to install the electrical box since the boss and holes were already there, along with the bolt that locks it in place. I used the threaded bolt dowels because they were cheap, fit the holes and were a solid surface for the locking bolt to rest against.

Doug
Finished up the installation of the Retirement Light.

[Image: 33592681778_be1d4b4095.jpg]

[Image: 40503114653_bd7c37371f.jpg]

[Image: 46553982545_427ced7b0f.jpg]

[Image: 47472109751_dd381c5508.jpg]
Almost 100 "looks" and no comments? Like, don't like? Questions?

Doug