Property Brothers jealousy
I watched an episode of Property Brothers, and one of the brothers was doing a demo in the bathroom.  He used a pry bar and hammer and the 12" x 12" ceramic tiles popped off with a single blow.  You could see four blobs of thinset in the corners, but nothing elsewhere.  

By contrast, I am doing a demo in my 1950's hall bathroom.  The entire house is plaster over metal lath.  The wall tiles are metal lath and (?) concrete (?).  My tiles do not pop off.  The have a death-grip on the wall.  I gave up on the hammer and prybar technique after just one hour and about 20 tiles (5" x 5"). 

Instead I got a Harbor Freight hammer drill with a wide chisel.  A lot of noise, a lot of dust but the tiles come off.  Then I need to use the chisel to chisel away the metal lath between the studs and roll that up and toss it.  After that I have to attack the thin strip of lath that remains on each of the studs.  

Oh, and the lath is loaded with concrete so it does not cooperate very much.  

I have not started on the floor yet, but I did so on the half bath.  The porcelain mosaic tile is so hard that sparks flew when chipping away.   That was another challenge.  

At times like this, I kinda wished that the builder had cut some corners so my demo would go easier.

Oh, and this is going to take several weeks because I did not order a dumpster and I can only put about 75 or 80 pounds of debris in my trash can each week.  This week the cast iron sink took up most of that 75 pounds.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Same here in my 1961 built house; plaster over plaster board with metal lathe in every corner and key joint.  That stuff will shred you just looking at it.  It took me several hours to rip the 5x5 tiles off the walls in my bathroom.  In the end, I tore it all back to studs and put up new drywall and Hardi board around the new tub area.   After that experience I learned to take off a single row between each stud and another row or two horizontally, cut through everything, and take the walls off in big chunks.  Much faster and less mess.  

Don't be so cheap.  Rent a dumpster.  You can get one by the next day at the latest where I live.

John
(04-15-2019, 09:22 AM)Cooler Wrote: I watched an episode of Property Brothers, and one of the brothers was doing a demo in the bathroom.  He used a pry bar and hammer and the 12" x 12" ceramic tiles popped off with a single blow.  You could see four blobs of thinset in the corners, but nothing elsewhere.  

By contrast, I am doing a demo in my 1950's hall bathroom.  The entire house is plaster over metal lath.  The wall tiles are metal lath and (?) concrete (?).  My tiles do not pop off.  The have a death-grip on the wall.  I gave up on the hammer and prybar technique after just one hour and about 20 tiles (5" x 5"). 

Instead I got a Harbor Freight hammer drill with a wide chisel.  A lot of noise, a lot of dust but the tiles come off.  Then I need to use the chisel to chisel away the metal lath between the studs and roll that up and toss it.  After that I have to attack the thin strip of lath that remains on each of the studs.  

Oh, and the lath is loaded with concrete so it does not cooperate very much.  

I have not started on the floor yet, but I did so on the half bath.  The porcelain mosaic tile is so hard that sparks flew when chipping away.   That was another challenge.  

At times like this, I kinda wished that the builder had cut some corners so my demo would go easier.
Oh, and this is going to take several weeks because I did not order a dumpster and I can only put about 75 or 80 pounds of debris in my trash can each week.  This week the cast iron sink took up most of that 75 pounds.

I am puzzled as to why tossing out the old slows production.  Hit the job hard until done or there is a good chance you will become bored with it.  Stack the debris in a spot that makes filling can easy if you don't want to visit the dump or rent a dumpster.  I find that if I get bored or a project seems to take forever lack of interest sets in and that can be a serious problem
Laugh

ps a diamond blade in an angle grinder or circular saw set to the proper depth can make that job considerably easier but adds dust.  A respirator should be worn no matter what you do
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-15-2019, 09:48 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Same here in my 1961 built house; plaster over plaster board with metal lathe in every corner and key joint.  That stuff will shred you just looking at it.  It took me several hours to rip the 5x5 tiles off the walls in my bathroom.  In the end, I tore it all back to studs and put up new drywall and Hardi board around the new tub area.   After that experience I learned to take off a single row between each stud and another row or two horizontally, cut through everything, and take the walls off in big chunks.  Much faster and less mess.  

Don't be so cheap.  Rent a dumpster.  You can get one by the next day at the latest where I live.

John

I find the work so tiring that I think the pressure of having the dumpster would mean working fast and hard and it would wear me  out.  

Luckily, it is spring and I have no end of things to keep me busy (new soffits, new cabinets for the kitchen, etc.).  

So I fill 80 pounds into the trash and switch to another task.  

The thing is that they make like demo is fun.  Demo is work.  Not fun.
Best investment I have is a 5x10 utility trailer. I've had it about 17 years. Bought it new, on sale at Tractor Supply for about $800. A lot cheaper than a pickup truck and a lot easier to load and unload. I think they're about $1200 now When it's full, I go to the dump. When I need to haul something, I go to the dump and empty it. Have done 3 complete guts and remodels with it. On #4 now. Starts up every time.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-15-2019, 10:44 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Best investment I have is a 5x10 utility trailer. I've had it about 17 years. Bought it new, on sale at Tractor Supply for about $800. A lot cheaper than a pickup truck and a lot easier to load and unload. I think they're about $1200 now When it's full, I go to the dump. When I need to haul something, I go to the dump and empty it. Have done 3 complete guts and remodels with it. On #4 now. Starts up every time.

Years ago, I used to pit crew for a friend that raced a Corvette in SCCA sanctioned events.  We towed the car on an aluminum flat bed that nowadays would probably cost $5,000.00 but back then was about $800.00.

Compare that $5,000.00 with the $60,000.00 to $100,000.00 for a tow truck flat bed.   

I don't get it.  Why don't the tow companies use a trailer for $5,000.00 instead of a flat bed for 20 times that amount?
(04-15-2019, 12:33 PM)Cooler Wrote: Years ago, I used to pit crew for a friend that raced a Corvette in SCCA sanctioned events.  We towed the car on an aluminum flat bed that nowadays would probably cost $5,000.00 but back then was about $800.00.

Compare that $5,000.00 with the $60,000.00 to $100,000.00 for a tow truck flat bed.   

I don't get it.  Why don't the tow companies use a trailer for $5,000.00 instead of a flat bed for 20 times that amount?

I suspect because it can get into tighter places more easily.  Might be a requirement for retrieving cars from state highways and interstates, too.  

As for your filling one bucket and then doing something else because you are tired, I hear you but clearly you don't live with my wife or anyone like her.  

John
Cooler, what area of the country are you located? I ask because I've never heard of metal lath (of course, there's a lot of things I've never heard of). Is metal a regional thing? My first thought that this may have been one of those homes sold mail order. Anyway, just wondering.
(04-15-2019, 02:21 PM)dg152 Wrote: Cooler, what area of the country are you located?  I ask because I've never heard of metal lath (of course, there's a lot of things I've never heard of).  Is metal a regional thing?  My first thought that this may have been one of those homes sold mail order.  Anyway, just wondering.

I'm not sure what country Poughkeepsie is in. 
Smile

The metal lath may have been galvanized at some time, but is not anymore.  It is a form of expanded metal.  It absolutely kills WIFI transmission.  And it interferes with radio reception.  The type shown is what I have.  Luckily it is fairly simple to shear with a impact chisel on a impact drill.  I start from the top and run down along the studs.  Then I remove about a 12" width of the material which is laden with about 1" of concrete or mortar (I'm not sure what it is--but it is not plaster which is on the walls above the tiles.

[Image: B1150941162.jpg]  

Almost as much effort as removing the bulk of the lath is trying to prise the nails out of the  60 year old Douglas fir studs which are now as hard as rock.  The houses in my "development" were alll built by the same builder who sold them as "shells".  The home owner would then either finish the electrical, plumbing and interiors themselves or contract out to have someone do it for them.  The quality of the interiors varies greatly.  

My house is the builder's own home.  The "upgrades" he made on the house drive me crazy.  Every other home in the development used sheetrock.  Mine has plaster.  Which is a pain in the butt in many situations.

The basement joists needed to be 2" x 8"; mine are 3" x 8" and are so hard that nails bend and screw heads snap off.  The concrete is "hardened" (I'm not sure what that means) and even the heaviest .22 load will not penetrate the slab.  Carbide drill bits are good for about 6 to  10 holes and then they are worthless.  

I  like the fact that he did not cut corners, but it is a headache when making alterations (or even trying to mount a picture frame).
After looking at your photo I think I've seen it, however, I've only seen it in patch situations rather that whole walls. Good luck with your reno. Post pics with your progress.