School me on Pressure Washers
Lightbulb 
Hey gang -

I've come around to the point that I feel I need a pressure washer.  At minimum, I have my concrete driveway and patio to clean off.  We've been in our home 18 years and have never washed the surrounding walkway or driveway, and we're now planning to move in about two years.  I have a lot of "dirt" (is there a better word?) on the walkway surfaces.  I also have a white rock border around the landscaping and thats lookin' pretty cruddy too.

I was thinking of spending about $300-$400.  My inital notion was to just go to the local warehouse club and pick out whatever decent looking machine had a Honda motor.  However, what else should I look for?  Is there anything to consider with advertised pressure ratings and GPMs?  Any specific attachments I must have?  What about hose length?

Thanks all!
Here's a few options at Sam's Club:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/simpson-28...oduct_1_11

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/black-max-...roduct_1_8

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/smp-3200ps...roduct_1_4

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/simpson-30...roduct_1_2

Thoughts?
If it were me, I'd get at least a 3000 PSI unit, that should take care of what you want it for. That is what I have and it does what I need. Oh by the way, mine is a Honda and runs great.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
I finally broke down and bought one last year. After a lot of hemming and hawing, I followed TDPKE's advice. The one he recommended had a Robin engine (now called Suburu, I think) and a Cat pump. That model wasn't available anymore and as I looked for a replacement I came across a Simpson that had the Cat pump but a Honda engine. I had decided that 3200 PSI was about right for what I needed (pretty much what you want to do) and after much on-line  shopping, it turned out HD had the lowest price (by far). I'm happy with it, and it preforms well. But the Simpson OEM hose is very stiff to manage. I usually leave it lay in the sun for an hour or so before use to soften it up. That said, this hose is extremely well made, quite durable...just a PITA to manage. It's also only 25', and I wish it was much longer. I intended to get a 50' addition and can't imagine how hard it would be to deal with that much Simpson hose...so I'm still thinking about it. I noticed Flexilla nows makes pressure washer hoses and have one of them in my sights. The only thing is the largest diameter they market is 5/16", and my washer has a 3/8" hose. I'm not sure how much difference that would make so I'm waiting to see if Flexilla introduces a 3/8" one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would not be without my turbo nozzle on my Electric.  My gas washer did not come with one. Amazon has a lot of choices in them, if the Pressure washer you pick out does not come with it. I got mine from Home depot (pricey)
At Amazon

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Northern tool.
www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664483_200664483
Couple things to look at when pricing pressure washers, water PSI is only one, the GPM also make a difference in cleaning power.

At the price point your looking your probably going to be getting between 3000 and 4000 PSI with 2.5GPM You would get better cleaning with a 4GPM at that psi, but your talking about triple the price.

In woodworking terms, I’d compare the two to a job sight saw vs a 3hp cabinet saw, both get the job done one just does it a little quicker and easier. For my use I went with a 2.5GPM washer

I really like the surface cleaner gizmo, looks kind of like a small lawn mower deck and has a pair of nozzles under it that rotate to clean a wider swath on your driveway, really a time saver on cleaning a large surface.
It wont clean as well as direct pressure from the wand, but it covers 12-14 inches wide vs 2-4 so will decrease time spent washing significantly.

As for what I bought, I was prepared to buy once cry once and get a 4gpm belt drive unit with a Honda motor, when a 2.5gpm direct drive husqvarna went on clearance at lowes for around $250, I figured for the amount I use it I’d buy this one, and see how well it worked and if it burns up or the pump gives out in a year or two, I will consider my usage and let that help me decide which direction to go.

From what I understand the direct drive units tend to weld themselves together over time, so they aren’t really serviceable long term, but for as much as I will use mine as a homeowner, I doubt Ill have to much problem with that.

Duke
(04-20-2019, 05:44 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: I would not be without my turbo nozzle on my Electric.  My gas washer did not come with one. Amazon has a lot of choices in them, if the Pressure washer you pick out does not come with it. I got mine from Home depot (pricey)
At Amazon

+1, these nozzles rock! Cuts the time for doing most jobs easily in half.
(04-20-2019, 07:50 AM)JDuke Wrote: From what I understand the direct drive units tend to weld themselves together over time, so they aren’t really serviceable long term, but for as much as I will use mine as a homeowner, I doubt Ill have to much problem with that.

Duke

This happened to me, the pump went on a Karcher with a Honda motor after 12 years or so.  Got a slightly bigger pump from McMaster (I think) and put it in; still going strong after 9 years.  Had to replace the wand too.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-19-2019, 11:47 PM)Cian Wrote: Hey gang -

I've come around to the point that I feel I need a pressure washer.  At minimum, I have my concrete driveway and patio to clean off.  We've been in our home 18 years and have never washed the surrounding walkway or driveway, and we're now planning to move in about two years.  I have a lot of "dirt" (is there a better word?) on the walkway surfaces.  I also have a white rock border around the landscaping and thats lookin' pretty cruddy too.

I was thinking of spending about $300-$400.  My inital notion was to just go to the local warehouse club and pick out whatever decent looking machine had a Honda motor.  However, what else should I look for?  Is there anything to consider with advertised pressure ratings and GPMs?  Any specific attachments I must have?  What about hose length?

Thanks all!

The best pump is a CAT the best reliable engine is Honda and the best is a variety of nozzles but include a Turbo
I got a 3200 psi from HD on Clearance it was branded Dewalt, but that doesn't matter, its the components your after if you want reliability. That was 15 years ago, still absolutely no problems today. put gas in it and change oil occasionally. a couple hundred dollars yon't matter down the road.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop