Mower for small yard
I've got the Lee Valley reel mower, which I've been using for about 10 years now. Works great. I would recommend a small string trimmer for edging, though.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Years ago I had a Sunbeam corded electric mower.
It worked great. You just had to use a little bit of brain power not to run the cord over.
it was very quiet but not nearly as quiet as my neighbors electric mower.
His was basically a mower deck with a single blade with a electric motor mounted vertically on the top of it. No plastic shroud or anything else.
The only sound you heard was the sound of the leaf blades being cut.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Goats.
It gets trimmed and fertilized.
(05-03-2019, 03:46 PM)daddo Wrote: Goats.

Not to mention they provide cheese and dinner to cook on the grill...

I would go with one of the battery mowers or a reel mower like mentioned already however reel mowers only work well on certian types of grass mainly bermuda and centipede or similar single bladed grass. They do not work well on St Augustine or other crabgrass type grass.
I have a self propelled Ego lawn mower that I am extremely pleased with. It folds up for compact storage and I can mow my lawn 3 times without recharging. It's light weight, powerful, quiet and no maintenance.
I also have their string trimmer and 16" chainsaw and am very happy with them as well.
Highly recommended.
Looks like the neighborhood has young-ins (and reasonable parents) that want to earn money cutting lawns. $3 for the front yard and $2 for the back...Hard to justify buying a new mower when you can encourage/support kids that are willing to work. Under 10 years old, but using a Y2k compliant, and very "green" reel mower. Good stuff...
(05-03-2019, 03:46 PM)daddo Wrote: Goats.

you don't want goats.  trust me.
(04-25-2019, 09:00 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Daughter and SIL just purchased a house in the Bay area (Calif). ~6,000 sf property. Looking for a recommendation for a mower for a housewarming gift. Was considering battery, but my experience with 3/4 acre has only been gas, 21" Honda then bumped up to 48" walk behind...
Suggestions welcomed ...
Thanks in advance

Get em a years worth of lawn service.