Dresser dados slipping
I've hardly been able to get any shop time in the last several years, but am finally getting back into it.  I think it's been +10 years since I posted here despite being an avid lurker.

Back in 2007, I built my then-baby daughter a wide lady's dresser out of cherry from one of Bones' runs.  Not thinking it through, I used simple glued-dado to secure the frames into the side panels. 

We've moved a number of times and the glue in the dados is failing letting the whole piece start to  pull apart.  I've forced glue back into the joints and pulled them back together, but that only lasts a move or two.  I'm looking for a more permanent solution.  

I'm thinking about angling dowels through the frames into the side panel...  kind of like toe-nailing, but with a dowel.  The dados are not terribly deep, so I'm not positive dowels are the best option.  

While the piece isn't "A" masterpiece, it definitely is "MY" masterpiece -- it's far-and-away the best piece of woodworking I've ever done, and my daughter adores it...  It's a little heartbreaking for me to see the construction failing, I'd be truly obliged for help in discreetly fixing it. 

Andy
Dowels will work; however, they’ll also be visible and most likely contrast with your finish.
I’m guessing if you take the drawers out, you could install L-brackets at the rear from inside.
Without pics, this is pure SWAG.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Here's a pic...  I was thinking of drilling from exactly in the corner through the frame(s) into the side panel/leg at about 45 degrees.  Once cut off and pared flush, I was "thinking" it would only show when the drawer was entirely removed.

(Yes, i need to dust the side panel)

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-04-2019, 07:18 PM)brax71 Wrote: Here's a pic...  I was thinking of drilling from exactly in the corner through the frame(s) into the side panel/leg at about 45 degrees.  Once cut off and pared flush, I was "thinking" it would only show when the drawer was entirely removed.

(Yes, i need to dust the side panel)

Sounds like a good fix to me. I think a pair, one up, one down, might be stronger. I would also do all the panels. Not just the loose ones.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Would pocket hole screws be an option? I can't tell from the photo if you have the room but if you did another squirt of glue and a couple of pocket hole screws might do what you're wanting.
Can you take a pic without the drawers?
Gary

Pocket screws cut from the underside should help a lot.  Looks like the basic design problem was that there is no strong m & t members across the front to keep the sides from expanding.  Any others have suggestions??
Pocket hole screws were the first option that came to my mind, too.  Another option would be to drill through the legs, into the stretchers and glue in dowels.  Recess the dowels enough to put flat grain plugs over top, and pare flush for an almost invisible result, or use domed plugs for an "I intended it to look like this." one.  

John
Many thanks for the helpful replies -- just checked and a local friend has a pocket-hole jig I can use.  Am a little torn -- have never used pocket holes before.  As important a family project as this is, I'm skittish to start using them on it.  Alternatively, drilling for dowels is also a big step. 

Bottom line, I should've learned to cut sliding dovetails all those years ago.
If you remove the drawers, can you pull the case tight using bar clamps?
How hard would it be to push the case apart, clean the old glue out and reseat everything?

When the case is tight, how much gap is there around each drawer?
Gary