Dust Collector Upgrade, Delta 50-760, SDD
My latest and hopefully final upgrade to my Delta 50-760 dust collector.

A couple years ago I upgraded to a Wynn pleated filter and soon thereafter replaced the plastic bag with a fiber drum with a custom made canvas sleeve.  This worked well but I couldn't see when the bin was full and cleaning the filter was no fun.

Here is the "before" picture:
[Image: YJTsxKn.jpg]

Following my last filter cleaning I decided to add the 5" Super Dust Deputy.

After looking at different set ups online this is what I came up with:

[Image: MRGagmE.jpg]  [Image: G3EQ5Kt.jpg]

As others have done I raised the unit using 1" conduit (painted gray to sort of match).  By moving the filter to below the unit it is actually shorter than before.

The bin is a heavy duty Rubbermade clear polycarbonate food bin (FG330100CLR) that I purchased at the local restaurant supply.  Before I saw the bin in person I was a little concerned with it collapsing under suction but it works extremely well with only a slight "flex" in the sides.  The bin holds 21 gallons.

The dust collector to SDD connector is a Fernco 1002-46.

Very pleased so far.
I just picked up a used 50-760 and have been looking for ideas on how to set it up with Wynn filter and either a cyclone or a Thein baffle.

I like your setup.
Nicely done. Looks very professional.

How often to you have to empty it when planing and joining?
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I’m thinking I’d like more chip collection area.

I’d love to put a 55 gallon barrel under it but the diameter is to big for it to be centered, and the height by the time you Jack it up high enough to clear the filter is pretty high. I could put the filter on top and cap the bottom but then the overall height wouldn’t lend itself well to mobility.

I also have some 35 gallon drums that get used for feed storage, one of those might be a better sweet spot for height and diameter.

Duke
Congrats on a brilliant design. If it works as good as it looks, you're in business.
Upgraded mine recently , Wynn filter, Thein Baffle. The Thein Baffle captures almost all material. When I see new stuff in the bottom bag I empty the can.

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes, the bin was a bit of a trade off.  I would have liked more capacity but that would mean going taller and I was trying to keep it as short and compact as possible.

My original fiber drum was around 27 gallons.  The new polycarbonate bin is 21 gallons.  I was originally looking at the 17 gallon steel drum that Oneida sells for the SDD but it was 1.5 inches taller than the polycarbonate bin and being clear was also a big plus for the polycarbonate bin.

I just finished assembly on Sunday so I haven't done any heavy planning yet.  I will definitely have to empty more frequently but as of now I don't think that will be such a big deal.  The 27 gallon fiber drum was a bit unwieldy when full.

Thanks for all of the compliments.
Well done. How is the lid attached to the bin? Just a press fit?
(05-13-2019, 11:26 AM)Cian Wrote: Well done. How is the lid attached to the bin?  Just a press fit?

I originally envisioned having to come up with some sort of clamping method but found out the suction alone seals up everything.  The lid has an inset piece that fits inside the bin to align everything and weather stripping around the perimeter.  The bin also has a raised rim.  When the dust collector is on I imagine I would have a hard time separating the two.

I am now trying to come up with the best method to support the lid so I can pull the bin out to empty.  I am thinking of a cam buckle lashing strap over the dust collector along with a couple of wooden "belt loops" attached to the lid.

[Image: SI2jivC.jpg]

[Image: eWVQT1T.jpg]

[Image: g7bXfS2.jpg]
(05-06-2019, 08:08 PM)Sullivan Wrote: The dust collector to SDD connector is a Fernco 1002-46.

How hard was it to stretch the 4" opening of the Fernco over the 5" port on the Delta?  I have a sheet metal and foil tape fitting that works, but isn't really durable and I've been looking for something better.  Also, is it flexible in the vertical direction?  Meaning, can you lift the DD off the container without disconnecting anything?
People always ask me "What skill do you use the most in woodworking?" and I always tell them "Sweeping."