Demo over bath tub
This weekend I am starting the demo over the old bath tub.  

The issue is that the old bathtub is in nearly perfect condition (except for the color).  My plan is to finish the remodel of the bathroom and then have someone come in and refinish the tub white.  

So I would not want to damage the surface in any way.  What is the best way to protect the tub during demo?  I will have to stand on a ladder to do at least half of the work.

I was thinking of either taping a 6 mil plastic sheet or trying to tape a canvas drop cloth.

Any suggestions?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Could you cut a piece of plywood to go over it? I think that would provide more protection that plastic or canvas.
(05-13-2019, 07:50 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Could you cut a piece of plywood to go over it? I think that would provide more protection that plastic or canvas.

I would have to stand on the plywood. I'm not sure how well that would work; I'm pretty heavy.  I could cut a piece to fit the bottom of the tub.  That would work for the bottom, but the rim and the walls would be unprotected.
(05-13-2019, 11:52 AM)Cooler Wrote: I would have to stand on the plywood. I'm not sure how well that would work; I'm pretty heavy.  I could cut a piece to fit the bottom of the tub.  That would work for the bottom, but the rim and the walls would be unprotected.

I have done the plywood-over-the-tub thing. Affixed a cleat to the underside of the plywood so that it would not slip and let me fall. I did this to tile the surrounding area to the ceiling. There was no visible marks then (over 10 years ago) nor are there any late blooming marks from it today. If you have more concern, glue a felt (or other buffer) on the plywood where it contacts the tub. The plywood will make a platform to stand on and protect the tub from falling debris or tools ... or falling workmen.  
Smile

However you go, good luck with the job.
Robin of Kingston
Do the plywood over the top but mask off the top with tape first and use clear on inside to keep platform from slipping. If your weight is a concern, put some cheap carpet in bottom of tub and use 2x4 feet for center of tub for support.

You will appreciate the platform especially if removing drywall to the ceiling.
I usually cut a piece of plywood to fit but... generally if I'm going through the trouble of redoing the walls, I'm replacing the tub.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Best decision I made when recently remodeling the wife’s bathroom was to remove the tub and convert it to a shower. I also raised the bulkhead over the tub up as high as I could and added a waterproof LED light fixture that I wired into the bath fan. No additional framing material was needed just a piece of new drywall.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(05-13-2019, 03:28 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I usually cut a piece of plywood to fit but... generally if I'm going through the trouble of redoing the walls, I'm replacing the tub.
The tub is cast iron.  The replacements that I would be able handle are acrylic or fiberglass.  The acrylic and fiberglass both come with an acrylic finish.  

The tub refinisher will apply an acrylic finish.  This would be over cast iron.  

From a cost/benefit point of view, for a rarely used guest bath, refinishing seems the better course of action.
(05-14-2019, 07:28 AM)Cooler Wrote: The tub is cast iron.  The replacements that I would be able handle are acrylic or fiberglass.  The acrylic and fiberglass both come with an acrylic finish.  

The tub refinisher will apply an acrylic finish.  This would be over cast iron.  

From a cost/benefit point of view, for a rarely used guest bath, refinishing seems the better course of action.

Can I ask why are you redoing the walls? Is there major damage?

We just had Miracle Method redo our guest bath and they redid the 40 year old tile surround and the tub and it looks new. They patched several holes and cracks in the tile that were there from previous shower doors and shelves. They pulled out the old soap dish and patched that too. Had everything sprayed with a clean white acrylic finish. 

I replaced all the stem valves in the three hole shower/tub faucet and put new handles on so that operates like new. 

It came out great and was a fraction of the cost of tearing down the mud/lath walls and re-tiling. Perfect for a guest bath.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
https://www.supply.com/shop?nid=474107&d...gKMyfD_BwE
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]