DIY Overarm dust collector
Here’s a DIY overarm dust collector I built for my SawStop.

The design is not my own. It’s a modified version from here https://www.justindepewdesign.com/plans. (Which looks to be a modified version from the one printed in Shopnotes # 92.)

Either one would work but I looked at both and chose Justin’s design and downloaded his plans just to get the templates.

(The vacuum hose removed for clarity)

I modified it so it would mount to the rear support bar of the Sawstop. Mounting it there required me to add an extension at the end of the boom arm so the dust collection was brought forward and centered over the blade. Another mod to the original plans was the swing arm assembly. You can easily loosen the knob and swing the arm out of the way.

The wood for the boom is straight grain fir. I liked it because it is stiff but not too heavy. The extension at the end is made from a scrap of cedar I had laying around.

The cover is made from 1/8” Lexan I bought off Ebay for $10. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-3mm-Clear-P...2749.l2649

All in all I’m very happy with it. Does it capture 100% of the dust? No; but it does capture at least 90% of it most of the time. The shop is much cleaner at the end of the day and I’m happy to have less dust floating around and out of my lungs.

Attached Files Image(s)

Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
(06-09-2019, 07:20 AM)Terry W Wrote: Here’s a DIY overarm dust collector I built for my SawStop.

The design is not my own. It’s a modified version from here https://www.justindepewdesign.com/plans. (Which looks to be a modified version from the one printed in Shopnotes # 92.)

Either one would work but I looked at both and chose Justin’s design and downloaded his plans just to get the templates.

(The vacuum hose removed for clarity)

I modified it so it would mount to the rear support bar of the Sawstop. Mounting it there required me to add an extension at the end of the boom arm so the dust collection was brought forward and centered over the blade. Another mod to the original plans was the swing arm assembly. You can easily loosen the knob and swing the arm out of the way.

The wood for the boom is straight grain fir. I liked it because it is stiff but not too heavy. The extension at the end is made from a scrap of cedar I had laying around.

The cover is made from 1/8” Lexan I bought off Ebay for $10. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-3mm-Clear-P...2749.l2649

All in all I’m very happy with it. Does it capture 100% of the dust? No; but it does capture at least 90% of it most of the time. The shop is much cleaner at the end of the day and I’m happy to have less dust floating around and out of my lungs.
Interesting design and nice execution for the construct.  Are you connecting a separate dust collector to it or are you splitting the main cabinet collection system at the back of the saw like the commercial version?
(06-09-2019, 08:21 AM)LongLook Wrote: Interesting design and nice execution for the construct.  Are you connecting a separate dust collector to it or are you splitting the main cabinet collection system at the back of the saw like the commercial version?

Right now I'm running a separate vacuum to it. It's the same vac I use for sanding. I attach the hose to the swing arm with short bungee cords so I can disconnect it and use it with my random order sander when needed.  One day I might run a Y connector off the dust port in the back but I'll try this setup for awhile.
looks like it is fairly straight forward to make and hopefully use.  I can't tell for sure whether it will handle a dado blade but if it's not just making a wider blade guard should handle that.
I've made several variations of an overhead guard system for my saw, with the latest being based on 3" pipe.  The beauty of making your own is you can tailor it to fit your needs rather than changing your methods to suit the function of the guard.

Well done.
That actually looks like it will work well. Clever design, whoever came up with it. Does the guard float over the work or do you set the height before you cut? Running it with a shop vac is probably better than hooking into a dc system because you need really strong suction at the pickup point. Nice job.
Very nice. I have a question about your guard if you don't mind. Do you find that not being able to see the blade from the front causes any issues for you?  I've considered that type of guard before, but not seeing where my wood is going kind of concerns me.  Even though it is riding against the fence most of the time.
(06-13-2019, 07:18 AM)stav Wrote: Very nice. I have a question about your guard if you don't mind. Do you find that not being able to see the blade from the front causes any issues for you?  I've considered that type of guard before, but not seeing where my wood is going kind of concerns me.  Even though it is riding against the fence most of the time.

This design premise looks much like I did when I built mine.  It appears to be independent of whatever blade guard you wish to use, just adjust the mounting methods accordingly.  Whether it's this one, a Shark Guard or one of the others, with the correct mounts I suspect they'd work out just time.
Happens I use both the guards from a Uniguard and a Whale Shark guard on mine.  No reason something similar to that couldn't be done with this one.
(06-13-2019, 07:18 AM)stav Wrote: Very nice. I have a question about your guard if you don't mind. Do you find that not being able to see the blade from the front causes any issues for you?  I've considered that type of guard before, but not seeing where my wood is going kind of concerns me.  Even though it is riding against the fence most of the time.

I'm not the OP, but would note that it only obscures the blade if you are standing where you should not be.
(06-11-2019, 06:00 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: Does the guard float over the work or do you set the height before you cut? 

This version I have to set the height before I cut. The Shopnotes version (see issue 92), has a metal tab on the front and a spring in the back so that, I guess, it lifts it up as you push the work piece through. I didn't go with that design as I could not find any reference to it actually working in real life. If I get tired of adjusting it, I can always give it a try and retro fit this to the Shopnotes version.
(06-13-2019, 07:18 AM)stav Wrote: Do you find that not being able to see the blade from the front causes any issues for you?  I've considered that type of guard before, but not seeing where my wood is going kind of concerns me.  Even though it is riding against the fence most of the time.

To be honest, this was a concern of mine initially. After a couple of dozen cuts, I forgot all about it.  It just takes a few extra seconds to loosen the wingnuts & raise the shield to precheck the distance to the fence.  Lower it down, tighten the nuts and make your cut.