Looking for three head sander
Has anyone ever seen or used a sander like this? I read that it was a Craftsman sander that Bob Vila was selling on tv years ago. That’s about the only thing I've found on this thing. I looked online to find more info but nothing turned up. I would like to get one of these to try out.
I vaguely recall seeing a sander like that a long time ago.  I think what you were told is largely correct.
(06-19-2019, 05:16 PM)gtrboy77 Wrote: Has anyone ever seen or used a sander like this?  I was told that it was a Craftsman sander that Bob Vila was selling on tv years ago.  I tried to look online to find more info but nothing turned up.

I have used a Surcare 15" 4-head with 6" heads sander a lot. Same principle possibly. I'm not familiar with how the Craftsman would osscilate or flex. There is nothing that compares to that Surcare sander for the quality of the job and the time savings when finishing solid surface countertops. But it was also over $2500.
Pretty sure I have one. And some paper for it. Don't think I've ever used it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

It always reminded me of a Norelco Razor. I thought there was so little surface area on the paper that it would not "cut" very well, and paper would wear out quickly.
(06-19-2019, 09:04 PM)toolmiser Wrote: It always reminded me of a Norelco Razor.  I thought there was so little surface area on the paper that it would not "cut" very well, and paper would wear out quickly.

I shave with one:
[Image: 39.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-19-2019, 09:04 PM)toolmiser Wrote: It always reminded me of a Norelco Razor.  I thought there was so little surface area on the paper that it would not "cut" very well, and paper would wear out quickly.

Not much area, but it's moving pretty well, so the sander was pretty effective at removing wood.  Had one to try using to sand the exterior of bowls, but the curvature had to be near nil to make it work right.  On the subject of surface in contact, I now use 2" disks, using the center inch and a half for convex, the outer half inch for concave surfaces.  Works a treat.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Just a note on 2" sanding discs. Ordered a couple hundred from Vince woodewonders a month or so ago. Great paper at a much lower price than most others.
(06-19-2019, 05:16 PM)gtrboy77 Wrote: Has anyone ever seen or used a sander like this?  I read that it was a Craftsman sander that Bob Vila was selling on tv years ago.  That’s about the only thing I've found on this thing.  I looked online to find more info but nothing turned up.  I would like to get one of these to try out.

My son got me one of those for Christmas some time ago.  I used it a couple of times, but I didn't think much of it.  But that's just my opinion.  I don't know if one can find the discs for it anymore.  I think it's a Craftsman.  I wonder if they still make them.