Battery powered clock movements fail at about 18 months
...to about two years. I’m thinking I’m going to have to upgrade. The ones that are failing are the Takane “Made in USA” ones. I was buying them from Klockit, but they have issues with bad customer service so I switched to Ronnel. I’m seeing the same thing with them as well, they all fail at about the same time. The ones I used before were failing at about a year, so I switched to these. I’m make a lot of clock cases, but I may have to rethink making them if I can’t get a decent movement.
I’m interested in suggestions!
VH07V  
(07-01-2019, 05:07 PM)EightFingers Wrote: ...to about two years. I’m thinking I’m going to have to upgrade. The ones that are failing are the Takane “Made in USA” ones. I was buying them from Klockit, but they have issues with bad customer service so I switched to Ronnel. I’m seeing the same thing with them as well, they all fail at about the same time. The ones I used before were failing at about a year, so I switched to these. I’m make a lot of clock cases, but I may have to rethink making them if I can’t get a decent movement.

I purchased several from Klockit, last time well over 10 years ago.   One of the chiming ones started acting squirrelly a couple years back, but it was one in service for probably 15 years with no problem.  I still have a couple NIB in the cabinet, just haven't gotten around to replacing it or making another clock.
My first thought would be to talk to an old clock repair person. When he's done telling you what junk they all are, maybe he can send you to a better supplier.
Not any clock repair people here in this part of Hawaii, old or otherwise.
VH07V  
Seems to be a dying craft where I am.

(07-01-2019, 05:07 PM)EightFingers Wrote: ...to about two years. I’m thinking I’m going to have to upgrade. The ones that are failing are the Takane “Made in USA” ones. I was buying them from Klockit, but they have issues with bad customer service so I switched to Ronnel. I’m seeing the same thing with them as well, they all fail at about the same time. The ones I used before were failing at about a year, so I switched to these. I’m make a lot of clock cases, but I may have to rethink making them if I can’t get a decent movement.

Have you tried the high torque clock movements? Have always had good luck with this place.

https://www.clockworks.com/clock-movemen...-only.html
I've had very long life with the Seiko movements.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I almost hate to ask this question, but did you change the battery?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-02-2019, 05:11 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've had very long life with the Seiko movements.

IME Seiko is the best also...I like the continuous sweep movements better than the jump-second.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

either one of these will help you, call them tell them what you are looking for , tell them you don't want junk, see what they suggest.

I get real movements from timesavers.com
also have battery movements. that being said I haven't bought any for years from timesavers or clockparts things change in manufacturing. Best it to talk to them on the phone, see what they say.
I get my battery parts from clockparts.com
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop