Platform for Sleep Number bed?
Anyone made a platform for a Sleep Number bed? I want to get the king but don't want to pay $450 for their "integrated base". Was wondering if there are any gotchas.

Thanks
Paul
No, no gotchas that I can think of.  

We have two Sleep Number beds.  One has the rigid flat base (queen), the other is the Flexfit base (king size).

The flat base is just that, a flat base.  There are no holes through it for plumbing, electrics, or anything else; the air hoses go through the foam side of the air mattress.  A flat platform of 3/4" ply with strong support should be sufficient.  Of course, you can dress that up however you want.
We had a Sleep number years ago and built a platform for it. It was very similar to what WxMan describes. I used what I had on hand. I made two sides that connected in the middle for easier transport. Kind of like the Ron Paulk workbench without all the holes. The legs were 4x4s. It was very basic.
Where are you? I have one.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(07-22-2019, 08:26 AM)Scott W Wrote: Where are you? I have one.

I'm in the Middle East but will be back in the DC area for several months beginning of 2020.
(07-21-2019, 07:05 PM)WxMan Wrote: No, no gotchas that I can think of.  

We have two Sleep Number beds.  One has the rigid flat base (queen), the other is the Flexfit base (king size).

The flat base is just that, a flat base.  There are no holes through it for plumbing, electrics, or anything else; the air hoses go through the foam side of the air mattress.  A flat platform of 3/4" ply with strong support should be sufficient.  Of course, you can dress that up however you want.

(07-22-2019, 07:02 AM)stav Wrote: We had a Sleep number years ago and built a platform for it. It was very similar to what WxMan describes. I used what I had on hand. I made two sides that connected in the middle for easier transport. Kind of like the Ron Paulk workbench without all the holes. The legs were 4x4s. It was very basic.

Sounds good.  That should be easy enough to do.

Thanks,
Paul
I just remembered our solution to a problem we encountered many years ago.  During all of our military moves, we had a queen size bed that we literally hauled around the world.  In one place, we moved into an older house and the bedrooms were on the upper floor.  Being an older house, the only stairwell was very narrow with a low overhead clearance at the bottom of the stairs, and the queen size box base wouldn't fit through that space. 

To get around the issue, I made four X-braces out of 3/4" ply, set those on the floor and then put plywood on the top.  The advantage to this platform was the "knock-down" feature that allowed it to be moved easily, and it could be stored flat.  I didn't use any fasteners, the slots were cut so that the X's would slide together in an interlocking fashion.

I wish I had a picture to share...
(07-21-2019, 02:45 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Anyone made a platform for a Sleep Number bed?  I want to get the king but don't want to pay $450 for their "integrated base".  Was wondering if there are any gotchas.

Thanks
Paul

Paul

We have a side by side sleep by number King bed.  You really need to make sure you have all the specs to make sure you get it right. 

I do have to say that the VA paid for half of the whole thing including how the feet and head rise.  I sleep all the time with my feet up at different angles to help relieve pressure on my back.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.