How to make an expanding dining table with stored leaves
After doing many projects for friends, I am ready to make a one for me . I want a dining table, expandable from 4 people to 8, preferably with a fixed base  ( I am thinking of a hayrake base ).   I have thought about butterfly leaves, but I am having trouble working out the dimensions to allow it to expand enough to seat 8, since there is limited space to store the leaves on board.   One table that looked really cool was this one  video   he operates it around the 24 second mark,   By adjusting the setting to .25 speed, I can see that the leaf is held in some carriage, that lifts up to let the leaf clear the stretcher, then there are keyhole slots of some sort on top of the legs, and some mechanism on the underside of the leaf that locks into those slots when the leaf is pushed home, and a rule joint, with tabs underneath, to line up the leaf with the main table. I am not sure if that is to keep the soss hinges open on the leaf or for some other purpose.  Any ideas on how to make this, or how it works.  Also open to other ideas that don't involve storing a leaf elsewhere.
This guy has a 10-part step by step on how he built his butterfly table. Go to the 9:15min mark to see him operate it. I've seen other tables that have 2 stored leaves which would get you your 4 to 8 seater, but that will take more figuring.

https://youtu.be/FgUD2jhWpX0
Thanks, I  saw the butterfly video, and thought it was great which got me going in this direction, but I think there is a limitation on how much it can expand, based on the frame size, and the need for the runners and sliders that operate the top.
It think your best option is standard expandable rails and drop in leaves.  That hardware is readily available.  You can either store the leaf in a closet or build it into the bottom of the table.

By letting the rails into dados in the top stretchers they won't be that noticeable.
Barry, 

I built one in Season 1 of my TV Show. 
I not only show the exact dimensions for the butterfly leaf, but also show how to figure it out if you change sizes.

The show (Episodes 7&8 from Season 1) is free to watch and you can download free plans as well. 

And best of all, you can ask me any questions you may have if you build one.

Butterfly Leaf Dining Table
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Michael Fortune had a butterfly dining table design in FWW within the past year or three, IIRC.  Might be worth a look.  And I remember sliding leaf designs in both Woodsmith and FWW over the years.  

John
Thanks,  I saw your show, and that is what got me interested in the idea, but the single butterfly leaf won't give me enough of an extension to seat 8.  I started looking at other concepts, then a friend showed me a video of a double butterfly.  video double butterfly   The video is very long, but at around 4:40 you see the table with both leafs, and the sliding ends appear to overlap the leg assembly about 4 to 6 inches, and overlap the edge of the support by maybe 8 to 10 inches.    Then go ahead to 5:50 -  how in the world does he do that. No sag at the outer end, and the inner ends don't appear to move up at all.    0:55 shows the side view of the table, 1:40 shows you the innards from above.  Yes,  I see that he has runners or stretchers attached to the bottom of the sliding parts of the table, but they stop just about the legs, and don't see how they could possible support the cantilever when the two sliding ends are fully extended

John, thanks, I did check out the FWW, and they have a nice article on a butterfly, but it is a single.
(08-01-2019, 06:04 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Thanks,  I saw your show, and that is what got me interested in the idea, but the single butterfly leaf won't give me enough of an extension to seat 8.  I started looking at other concepts, then a friend showed me a video of a double butterfly.  video double butterfly   The video is very long, but at around 4:40 you see the table with both leafs, and the sliding ends appear to overlap the leg assembly about 4 to 6 inches, and overlap the edge of the support by maybe 8 to 10 inches.    Then go ahead to 5:50 -  how in the world does he do that. No sag at the outer end, and the inner ends don't appear to move up at all.    0:55 shows the side view of the table, 1:40 shows you the innards from above.  Yes,  I see that he has runners or stretchers attached to the bottom of the sliding parts of the table, but they stop just about the legs, and don't see how they could possible support the cantilever when the two sliding ends are fully extended

John, thanks, I did check out the FWW, and they have a nice article on a butterfly, but it is a single.

Barry, making my table with two leaves would be quite simple.
One of the features is that the slides are outside the apron, so adapting the design is far easier.
I would be happy to work with you on figuring out the details. Just PM me and we can talk about it.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I'm surprised the table in the video didn't flip when he stood on it. That must be some dense wood.

I have a table at home that is a single pedestal that goes from a round one that seats four, then has three leaves that you can insert (each 12" wide) to extend it. The problem with the table is that when fully extended if you push down or lean on the ends it can tip. So if you have a tendency to push yourself up from the chair by using the table you can't sit in the end positions. Also have to be careful with kids as they have a tendency to lean on tables (my two kids leaned on the end while doing a puzzle once and the whole table tipped, every leaf popped out, and they all slid towards them. Somehow they got out of the way). Just something to be aware of in designing yours. If the base is wide enough you should be fine.

Also be careful of knee clearance. The effective thickness of the tabletop in the video looks pretty ample. Them again I hate banging my knees of stuff and yanked the drawer out of the desk at my office. So this might just be me.

(08-01-2019, 10:49 PM)msweig Wrote: I'm surprised the table in the video didn't flip when he stood on it. That must be some dense wood.

I have a table at home that is a single pedestal that goes from a round one that seats four, then has three leaves that you can insert (each 12" wide) to extend it. The problem with the table is that when fully extended if you push down or lean on the ends it can tip. So if you have a tendency to push yourself up from the chair by using the table you can't sit in the end positions. Also have to be careful with kids as they have a tendency to lean on tables (my two kids leaned on the end while doing a puzzle once and the whole table tipped, every leaf popped out, and they all slid towards them. Somehow they got out of the way). Just something to be aware of in designing yours. If the base is wide enough you should be fine.

Also be careful of knee clearance. The effective thickness of the tabletop in the video looks pretty ample. Them again I hate banging my knees of stuff and yanked the drawer out of the desk at my office. So this might just be me.

I am with you.   I have a rectangular dining table with leaves ( they don't store on board ) and when fully closed it is quite small, and when fully open it easily seats 8, but the legs are a pedestal leg which is great for leg clearance, but when you put a heavy tray, or a person leans their elbows on one end , that end dips and the other end goes up in the air ,  making me afraid to use it.