is switching out ends of extension cord ok?
i’d like to move the freezer in the garage about 10’. the circuit breaker is 20 amp and dedicated to that specific outlet. i’m guessing the line to the outlet is 20 amp yellow as well. unfortunately, i can’t find a 20 amp extension cord with regular receptacle ends like the current outlet the freezer plugs into. can i buy the funny looking 20 amp extension cord with the flat end and switch out the ends of the cord to regular ends so that i can move the freezer provided i can find the regular ends in a big box store rated for 20 amp? is this ok to do?
You should not need a 20 amp cord for a freezer, at least not any residential freezer. Check the rating plate and I'll bet it's well under 10 amps.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Ditto that.  Unless it's an industrial unit, it will run fine on a 15A circuit, so it would have a NEMA 5-15P plug (regular 120V plug with parallel blades), which I think you're saying it has.  Just use a good quality 15A extension cord.

OR, you could replace the receptacle with a 20A version (NEMA 5-20R), which has the T-slot on the neutral (left side with ground pin at the bottom) and use any cord you want.  A 5-20 will accept both 15A and 20A plugs.

The 15A receptacle on a 20A circuit is legal, by the way, as long as there are two or more receptacles on it.  Since it's a duplex, it counts as two receptacles.  Each one is good to 15A (technically), and your freezer has a 15A plug, so I would just do as blackhat suggested.

Edit: But I definitely NOT cut the molded plug off a new extension cord if I didn't have to. The only difference in the blades of that plug would be the orientation of the neutral blade, so no improvement there anyway. Just the wire gauge would be heavier, so I would source a good quality 15A cord with heavier gauge (like 14 gauge) conductors. My upright deep freezer isn't frost-free, and doesn't have automatic defrost of any kind (heating elements), so it only draws a few amps. A lamp cord would work for that unit. Do check the data plate, also as blackhat suggested.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Heavy-...A1VHK?th=1
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Try looking for a window air conditioner extension cord. Yeah it sounds weird, but years ago I accidentally found some for them and they are sometimes 12 gauge wire. Of course this was years ago and probably everyone has central air now.
(06-11-2019, 08:00 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Try looking for a window air conditioner extension cord.  Yeah it sounds weird, but years ago I accidentally found some for them and they are sometimes 12 gauge wire.  Of course this was years ago and probably everyone has central air now.

They are still available. I have one.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-10-2019, 01:03 AM)joshua5 Wrote: i’d like to move the freezer in the garage about 10’. the circuit breaker is 20 amp and dedicated to that specific outlet. i’m guessing the line to the outlet is 20 amp yellow as well. unfortunately, i can’t find a 20 amp extension cord with regular receptacle ends like the current outlet the freezer plugs into. can i buy the funny looking 20 amp extension cord with the flat end and switch out the ends of the cord to regular ends so that i can move the freezer provided i can find the regular ends in a big box store rated for 20 amp?  is this ok to do?

Keep in mind extension cords are for temporary use - it's not code to use an extension cord on a freezer.
(06-15-2019, 08:08 AM)geek2me Wrote: Keep in mind extension cords are for temporary use - it's not code to use an extension cord on a freezer.

Care to share a citation with that statement? I’m pretty sure neither the NEC or the NESC covers extension cord use at home, and OSHA and its derivatives don’t govern personal use.
Ifn' it were me and this is a 'permanent' move, I'd see if I could find where the current cord attaches inside of the freezer and replace that with a new cord of an appropriate length (cut the female end off of an extension cord) so there is no extension cord - just the straight run.  I'd probably try to do that with a 12 gauge cord...depending on the rating on the freezer - maybe a 14.

And I'd put in a "regular" 20 amp receptacle:

[Image: white-leviton-electrical-outlets-recepta...4_1000.jpg]

...but that is just me.  We aren't inspected here and I see nothing in my plan that has increased the chance for electrocution or fire (but will certainly withdraw my comments if there is a problem!)
(06-16-2019, 08:23 AM)jlanciani Wrote: Care to share a citation with that statement? I’m pretty sure neither the NEC or the NESC covers extension cord use at home, and OSHA and its derivatives don’t govern personal use.

NEC 400.8, prohibited uses, and 305
(08-06-2019, 11:57 AM)geek2me Wrote: NEC 400.8, prohibited uses, and 305

Well dang! I guess I'm in trouble for running my beer fridge / freezer on a 6' extension cord for the last 14 years. I'd go after the previous owner since that is how he had it set up... except for the fact he is dead.

Probably should go after my home inspector as well, since he never pointed it out either!
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15