Delta Replacement Parts Rant
Sorry, I'm not really going to rant but I did want to vent on how expensive and hard to find Delta replacement parts are getting to be. I'm tuning up a new-to-me jointer and I'm going to have close to a c-note in misc. knobs and whatnot to put things back in order. I was going to order a new cursor for my uni-fence while I was at it, but they are made of unobtainium right now. I think I'm done buying used Delta equipment from here on out. Just had to get that off my chest, but feel free to add to my rant if you are as frustrated as I am.

On a positive note, I will hopefully be able to post about my new byrd head for the jointer by the end of this weekend. I've got the head on but need to tweek the tables and alignment before I post about how much I like it (I know I will based on switching out my planer).
Yes it’s a shame what happened to the Delta name. At one point my shop was virtually all delta and porter cable. I’ve divested myself of all my delta equipment now except for my mortiser and drill press. Still have the monster 3hp porter cable in the router table too though.

Such a shame. Good luck with your machines. Those parts are doing nothing but getting harder and harder to find.
-Marc

I have a Delta 12 1/2" planer (22-565), a Delta bandsaw, and a Delta-Rockwell 6" jointer.  The jointer is US_made and was manufactured in 1958.  The bandsaw is among the last of the USA-made saws, and I bought it new in 2002.

The jointer is a real workhorse.  Unless I break a casting, I can't imagine it ever breaking.

The bandsaw is in good shape and normal-wear stuff like bearings are easy to find.  I managed to get a Delta riser kit about 9 years ago before they disappeared.  But if something on it breaks that is hard to find, that's going to be a real chore.  

Blades for the planer now come from third-party suppliers.  I wanted a dust collector hood, but they haven't been available for years.  I had to rig one up from sheet metal and HVAC ducting from the box store.  Replacement blades come from third-party suppliers.  I may lay in a stock of them, but I don't want to be stuck if something else on the machine fails and I have to replace it.

There are a couple old-line manufacturers who have gone down the tubes like Delta.  Like you, I don't even look at Delta, or Porter-Cable for that matter.
Agree with all the above, what has happened to the Delta brand is an American tragedy. Many years ago my shop was almost all battleship grey, about the only thing I have left of that is the DP and planer.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have several Delta machines, mostly all complete thankfully, and several other older machines.  I think what is happening to Delta is the same as what has happened to all older out of production manufacturers. Their parts become hard if not impossible to find.  Its just a fact of life in older and aging machines.
Ugh, good luck. I've posted my X5 Uni parts rant too many times. It's easier to get vintage (Delta, Delta/Rockwell) parts than Delta from, say, the mid 2000s. Bye bye Delta. Good luck to you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
And to think, somewhere, in the many garages and storage buildings or barns or attics all over America, there are a lot of Delta parts, maybe still in boxes, perhaps lying on shelves tucked away unbeknownst to the owner.
I have a 1954 Unisaw and 197X 14" wood/metal bandsaw.  Other than bearings (which are pretty easy to come by) and belts I haven't had to replace anything of substance and doubt I ever will.  I see no reason to get rid of them just because the company no longer makes quality products or supports the old machines.  And I would have no issue at all buying another used pre 1990 Delta machine.  
John
(08-25-2019, 02:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I see no reason to get rid of them just because the company no longer makes quality products or supports the old machines.
John

+1. I’d rather have a vintage American machine that I need to find parts for than one of the plethora of imported machines that have been orphaned in the past 10 years (Bridgewood, Steel City, General International, AMT, Reliant, etc...) that I needed parts for. There have even been numerous reports right on this forum of Grizzly machines that are discontinued with no parts available. 

The real issue is that so many people shop for price first; there is no margin for service and support when chasing the bottom dollar. Delta didn’t want to go out of business, they were forced.
Something to keep in mind, long term, is that small batch runs of parts can be done by
niche market manufacturers.  I am thinking about folks who do the 3D printing stuff,
for instance.  That, in addition to CNC carving/cutting machines are already making stuff
out there for all kinds of areas. Vintage car parts as a for instance.

Don't get me wrong, I also lament the loss of what was once a great name... but I shall
hand onto the old arn tools I have, and keep them going as best I can.

But maybe that's just me?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me