Knew Concepts marquetry saw
Nice and cheap, too. How does this thing work? You saw up and down with the handle, while you turn the piece?

https://www.knewconcepts.com/marquetry-saws.php
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Maybe that is what this old contraption was supposed to be..
Confused 

Plus..it was only $10.....Maybe if they had painted this one red?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-04-2019, 10:37 PM)Aram Wrote: How does this thing work? You saw up and down with the handle, while you turn the piece?

Yes, that's how it works.  Sometimes they are mounted where the plane of the frame is parallel to the work table.  The piece you're cutting then is directly in front of you and easier to see.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-04-2019, 11:30 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Maybe that is what this old contraption was supposed to be.

Spot the similarity with the saw frame in Steven's post?

[Image: main-photo-3-580x.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-05-2019, 06:34 AM)AHill Wrote: Yes, that's how it works.  Sometimes they are mounted where the plane of the frame is parallel to the work table.  The piece you're cutting then is directly in front of you and easier to see.

Thanks.

I have not done marquetry. From what I've read, I thought the method was to saw at a slight angle. The Knew Concepts saw -- which looks amazingly well built, and probably is -- seems to to fixed at 90 degrees, assuming the pieces are mounted to the edge of a flat table. Am I missing something?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
For what it's worth, there was some anticipation material posted in early July over at www.donsbarn.com .

http://donsbarn.com/fruition/

Chris
Chris
(09-05-2019, 09:36 AM)Aram Wrote: Thanks.

I have not done marquetry. From what I've read, I thought the method was to saw at a slight angle. The Knew Concepts saw -- which looks amazingly well built, and probably is -- seems to to fixed at 90 degrees, assuming the pieces are mounted to the edge of a flat table. Am I missing something?

Aram,
The pieces are cut using a saw 90 degrees to the wood, glued face down to a piece of paper, then a mastic is applied to fill gaps, the surface leveled, then glued to the substrate, and finally the paper is scraped off. That, in a nutshell, is how classic marquetry is done. There is much more, but you get the idea.

Inlays are where you can use the angled cut to make up for the saw kerf (usually 15 degrees).
Semper Audere!
It's another good one for the "cost no object" thread !

I just looked again; there is a video link now  (possibly there wasn't a video link yet when this thread started).   

Thanks
Chris
using the double bevel cutting method for marquetry - the fret saw is held vertical but the bench mounted cutting surface is angled - so the veneer is at the angel while the saw cuts vertical - thereby creating the taper. for the work i do the angle is 7 degrees for veneers cut to 5/64th,
jerry
There's a video in the link the OP posted. The handle and blade can be rotated. Wouldn't recommend that for double bevel marquetry.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill