2 HP Unisaw?
I saw this ad and was thinking that it sounded like a pretty good deal until I started thinking about the 2 HP part of the ad.

Did Delta ever make a 2HP Unisaw? I have heard of 3 and 5 but 2? I wonder if this indicates a problem with the saw, and coupled with a new bearing 'on the mandrel' it makes me a bit leery.

https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/d/cro...04356.html

Not that I am in any position to buy a saw right now.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
My Unisaw is a couple years older than the one in that ad and it's a 2-hp saw. Some of the earlier Unisaws were even offered with 1-hp motors.

I've never found the 2-hp motor to be an issue. I run mine on 220v, but it can be wired for 115v if you have a large enough breaker.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
(09-11-2019, 03:02 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I saw this ad and was thinking that it sounded like a pretty good deal until I started thinking about the 2 HP part of the ad.

Did Delta ever make a 2HP Unisaw? I have heard of 3 and 5 but 2? I wonder if this indicates a problem with the saw, and coupled with a new bearing 'on the mandrel' it makes me a bit leery.

Pedro
As Vince said, 2HP (240 only) Unisaws were made pretty much up to the end of Delta.  My "X5" has a Brazilian Invicta 2HP (right tilt) and will do 3" thick maple just fine.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-11-2019, 03:02 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I saw this ad and was thinking that it sounded like a pretty good deal until I started thinking about the 2 HP part of the ad.

Pedro

That saw is in nice shape, but $1000 is pretty steep for a 2 HP right tilt one unless it's a bullet motor which I doubt because it looks too new.  It does actually have a guard on it, however, which is worth bonus points and real money if you wanted to replace a missing one.  But if you aren't in the market it's a moot point anyway.  

John
My 1970 Delta catalog shows 1-1/2, 2, and 3 hp in single-phase, and 2 and 3 hp in three-phase flavors.  

Single-phase 2 hp was cat. number 49-815 with push button switch, 49-816 with push button with overload, and 49-817 with push button and magnetic starter.  Magnetic starters in those days were the pancake rectangles mounted remotely from the switch, usually on the back, which that unit does show in two of the photos.  They had real NEMA contactors with overload blocks, and were industrial grade.

The Rockwell International badging came a couple of years after 1970.  My catalog shows the Rockwell/Delta badge on all the machines, but it otherwise looks the same, down to the vented dust cleanout door.

Probably a very fine machine if it's not broken.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
That is indeed a pretty good deal. Consider what a grand will buy you in the way of a new saw.  Not much.  All I see wrong with that saw is that the front locking knob is missing from the raise/lower locking pin.  No big deal.  The tilt wheel has a good locking knob/pin you can swap out then hang a vise grip on the tilt pin to look really refined.
Ask for a pic of the motor. The saw appears to be in good condition with a lot of accessories . If that is the hang up, I would try to cover it as fast as possible.
My first real table saw was a uni-saw with a 1hp 3ph Bullet motor. It  did every thing I asked of it with no problems.