Back in the Day
There are many more readers than posters.  The S&S still gets tools sold very effectively, so we know there are lurkers who just don't post much in the hand tool forum.  As several have said, it's most been been addressed when applied to hand tools techniques.  As far as new tool discussion, there hasn't been anything new in several years, so what's to discuss?
Quote:As far as new tool discussion, there hasn't been anything new in several years, so what's to discuss?

What to discuss?
Rolleyes

Oh .. how about how to use the tools ... how to design something where you could use the tools ... how to know what is the best way to build the thing you wish to design so you can use the tools.

I am thinking I no longer belong here.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-01-2019, 08:38 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: As far as new tool discussion, there hasn't been anything new in several years, so what's to discuss?

There's been a lot of great information posted here. I completely disagree with this.

(12-01-2019, 08:46 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: What to discuss?  
Rolleyes

Oh .. how about how to use the tools ... how to design something where you could use the tools ... how to know what is the best way to build the thing you wish to design so you can use the tools.

I'm with you on this. Our tools look and function a lot like our forefathers' tools. But we've been talking about what to do with them for as long as we have worked wood.

I am thinking I no longer belong here.

I hope one or two voices don't push you away from Woodnet. That would be a big loss. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(12-01-2019, 08:46 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I am thinking I no longer belong here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm with Aram, here, Derek. Please don't leave as that would be a hugs loss to a lot of people who learn from your posts. Myself included.
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Can't recall the name of the book, acquired it about a decade or so ago. The book showed pictures of woodworking joints, with various methodas to make: entirely by hand, by hybrid and entirely by power.

Maybe we should be more like that book, in being more open minded anout our projects, our capabilities and our processing steps.

There remains much progress for our hobby/profession, most notably in safety of power tools and environmental considerations for all categories.

I might not post as much as in previous years, but maybe we need to look at forum traffic/views. I like reading about projects, but do I always comment? Only when I have something to contribute/add to the thread. In other words I read this forum as much as I ever have!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(12-01-2019, 11:25 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Can't recall the name of the book, acquired it about a decade or so ago.  The book showed pictures of woodworking joints, with various methodas to make:  entirely by hand, by hybrid and entirely by power.

Maybe we should be more like that book, in being more open minded anout our projects, our capabilities and our processing steps.  

There remains much progress for our hobby/profession, most notably in safety of power tools and environmental considerations for all categories.  

I might not post as much as in previous years, but maybe we need to look at forum traffic/views.  I like reading about projects, but do I always comment?  Only when I have something to contribute/add to the thread.  In other words I read this forum as much as I ever have!

in other words I read this forum as much as I ever have!

same here......
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-01-2019, 08:46 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I am thinking I no longer belong here.

Derek, I know you are kidding.  But seriously you would be sorely missed.  Your posts are always informative.

I was lurking on this site probably as long ago as 1999.  I barely knew the difference between a cross cut and rip at that time.  The forum was very lively back then.  I remember heated discussions about ripping with a featherboard or without.  Or whether or not to turn off the table saw after every cut.  No topic was left undiscussed.

I think I have visited the site every day since I found it, except those days when I am out of town and off the grid.

I always felt that I was more here to learn than to help spread knowledge.

One time, I thought I would try to return something to the forum by doing a review of the Worksharp - when it was fairly new on the market.  Someone here accused me of being a paid reviewer.

This is still one of my favorite sites.
Steve
Derek, you quoted me in your post.  Please read it again.  Did I not say "new tools"?   If there is more in the pipeline from your Canadian connection?  Please share if so.  You know as well as anyone that this forum has always been tool oriented rather than projects.  Even benches when presented are really tools.  This has never been the place for highboys and such.  

Noone wants you to not post here, although they have two other forums where they can see your work.  I think the discussion is: why aren't other people posting here?
I read here sometimes but mostly I don't post is because of the bullying that went on and still does. An example is I posted a while ago and All I asked is a simple question: Where can I get a Kranz Moses dove tail jig. I was told that is not the way to do it and that they didn't know my skill level  and bla bla bla.

And the best one is this, this is a forum and you can't expect to ask a question without us putting in our two cents. Which means rip you apart. After 3 pages of crap and after I finally  explained it was because my 12 year old grandson and I were going to spend some quality time together that the crap let up and it was nobody's business what I wanted it for in the first place.

And a few are still left  so why bother and I still don't know why I responded to this.
Several years ago, I went looking on the internet for help with a new plane I bought to flatten a walnut slab.  I stumbled across this forum, and joined.  I got the advice I needed, made a few new friends, and have hung around a while... But like every forum, there seemed to be those who were just here to stir the pot.  I learned how to block the worst two or three.

The rest, I ignored.  I also didn't feed into those type posts, and didn't post them.  I tried to follow the same rule on all the forums to which I belonged,  reread before you post, and if you have to "think about whether or not you should post," hit delete rather than post.  I have cut way back on the forums I participate in.  Just three now... This one, a shooting forum, and a military forum.  The conflicts on the rest drove me out.

Big Grin

I enjoy the build along posts, the tips and techniques, and the rest, and DO like the banter in the basement.  If it gets rowdy, I exit that thread. 
Wink. Easy enough.  If the time comes, I 'll bow out.  For now, I'm good.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.