BANDSAW TENSION SPRING
I have a 14 inch RIKON , Model 10-321 bandsaw that I have concerns with.  I detention the blade after every use, but every time I retention it it seems to need more and more turns to get the proper tension.  I have replaced the tension spring, but it seems to act the same way.  I wanted to purchase an aftermarket spring, but no one makes one for this particular bandsaw.  At least I couldn't find one.  I'm wondering if the blade is stretching that much or is the spring just not up to snuff.  I contacted the mfg. and they couldn't help me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  By the way, the specs call for a 99.75-inch blade.  Wonder if I should try a shorter blade and by how much?

Anybody???  
Ray
Give a call to Carter Products, they might have something for Rikon, or confirm their spring will work in your saw. It made a huge difference in my Delta 14".
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You wrote about this previously:

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7337119

...so this problem has been going on for quite a while apparently.

My question:  Is it possible that your blades are a little too-long?  That can really cause problems in trying to get them adequately tensioned.
(12-01-2019, 03:51 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: You wrote about this previously:

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7337119

...so this problem has been going on for quite a while apparently.

My question:  Is it possible that your blades are a little too-long?  That can really cause problems in trying to get them adequately tensioned.

Lots of good stuff in that thread, thanks for linking to it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Quote:...I detention the blade after every use...

Not being a jerk here, but thats about as logical as putting the car up on blocks after each trip to the store, so the tires stay round. 

Band saws stay tensioned for decades with no signs of stress or spring compression.
(12-02-2019, 12:31 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: Not being a jerk here, but thats about as logical as putting the car up on blocks after each trip to the store, so the tires stay round. 

Band saws stay tensioned for decades with no signs of stress or spring compression.

Of those saws that remain tensioned, I wonder how long they go between uses? If a saw were used daily or nearly so, I can see no advantage to detensioning. If a saw went weeks or months between uses as a hobbyist saw may, I wonder how well the tires would like the blade being in one place for that long. Another point, if there is a quick detensioning lever, what's the strain with taking 5 seconds to move it?
What Kurt said.  Some tires stretch when the blade is left under tension and then the saw vibrates like crazy when next turned on.  I know that one from experience.  

To the OP, blades only stretch a few thousandths from zero to full tension.  If you are having to crank the handle more and more to get to the same tension mark then the spring is going or is bad.  Lots of 14" saws have wimpy springs on them.  

John
I quit detensioning the bandsaw a whole long time back after breaking a couple blades for no apparent reason.  I use it very infrequently now, so it would seem that if leaving the tension on the blade is harmful, it would be more so with long stretches between use.   I'm not seeing it.
(12-02-2019, 05:39 PM)KC Wrote: I quit detensioning the bandsaw a whole long time back after breaking a couple blades for no apparent reason.  I use it very infrequently now, so it would seem that if leaving the tension on the blade is harmful, it would be more so with long stretches between use.   I'm not seeing it.

I have been using bandsaws for more than 55 years. Never released the tension until the blade was changed. Current saw is a G1073 , 16" bandsaw that was discontinued years ago. Before that I sawed with several different saws including a 36" Oliver. I think de-tensioning a saw is unnecessary. 
mike
I never detension the blades on either of my saws, a 20" Delta and 10" Inca. Never had an issue from it with out of round tires or stretched blades. Ben at it for well over 30 years on a few different saws. I know some folks believe in it and there are some fancy aftermarket addons to make it easy to do, but to me its a fix in search of a problem.