Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out?
"I was watching a news story on tv about some local "gaming" get together, and I told my family that I am glad I do something like woodworking instead of that. I don't think I would get much pleasure out of being good at a video game. I hope I get pleasure some day out of being good at"

I'm a gamer. It's very enjoyable. It's safe. It's cheap. It's social.

I don't get good at a game. I buy a game, play it a few months, and move onto another. At $50 or less each, it's cheap.
Semper fi,
Brad

(12-06-2019, 04:05 AM)wjt Wrote: bhh - please enable Private Messaging
I would like to reach out to you via PM and compare notes on our Woodworking Clubs and how we are attempting to attract new members.

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry, I thought it was on.   I had a few private messages, but it's been quite a while.

And thanks to all the commenters and contributors.   Good food for thought.
20 years from now- a 20 year walks into my shop- he asks; "What is all this stuff"?  
Me; "they are called tools".
He; "Wow, I didn't know you had a private museum".
Me; "It's not a museum, it's my shop".
He; "What does it do"?
Me; "It doesn't do anything- I use the tools make stuff like furniture and parts".
He; "Yeah, I read of something like that in a history book".
Me; "You want to see how some of this works- perhaps the processes"?
He; (Standing there with his phone looking down) "Naw- I'll google it".

Smirk
Smirk
(12-09-2019, 09:55 PM)bhh Wrote: Sorry, I thought it was on.   I had a few private messages, but it's been quite a while.

And thanks to all the commenters and contributors.   Good food for thought.

bhh

Please check your PM's Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks, Bill
(12-02-2019, 05:02 PM)meackerman Wrote: as shop classes die out in public schools, the corresponding interest with the people that have had little to no exposure is dying out.

Our older two daughters, have woodworking home owner skills, as they grew up in that environment. Their husbands generally hurt themselves. Their kids (our grandkids) are seeing their moms, as well as me, and are showing modest interest.

Incidentally, both daughters and husbands are in the upper income range, showing in a singular way, it is not a lack of funds causing them to do home maintenance/improvement projects, or woodworking items.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(12-10-2019, 06:09 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Our older two daughters, have woodworking home owner skills, as they grew up in that environment.  Their husbands generally hurt themselves. Their kids (our grandkids) are seeing their moms, as well as me, and are showing modest interest.

Incidentally, both daughters and husbands are in the upper income range, showing in a singular way, it is not a lack of funds causing them to do home maintenance/improvement projects, or woodworking items.

Most common vehicle among millionaires is?

F250
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-14-2019, 11:53 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Most common vehicle among millionaires is?

F250

I've never been sure how a work truck became a fashion accessory. 

It's too bad most of those who own them for that, can't park them.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
Woodworking requires eye contact with pieces being worked. The only eye contact people have these days is with cell phones. People don't even have good eye contact with other people. The last time I was in a doctor's office I was the only one there who did not have a cell phone plastered against a nose. That's true of about any waiting room.

I never saw a cell phone that could saw, plane, or shape wood, nor could you use one to do that. Spending time with the cell is far more important these days than spending time in the shop making or fixing something.
Rolleyes
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(12-15-2019, 10:36 AM)mstens Wrote: I've never been sure how a work truck became a fashion accessory. 

I was at the credit union this afternoon that's located inside another business.   As such there are about 4 parking spots reserved for the CU clients.   Just ahead of me there was a full-sized, dual wheel, double cab, 8' bed pickup with trailer hitch backing into one of the spots.  She got about 2/3 of the way in, then stopped.  I could not get past to the other open spot and only had about half the spot I could get to.  I waited for about 30 seconds, then pulled in and sticking way into the walkway.   She was overlapping   the spot I wanted by about 3'.    I was in, made my transaction and back out before she even shut off the engine and got out the truck.  Still about 5' from the back of the spot, so sticking way out into the drive.    On the side was "Two Women and a Brush Painting"   I felt like rolling down the window and telling her that I hoped her painting was better than her parking.
(12-15-2019, 10:36 AM)mstens Wrote: I've never been sure how a work truck became a fashion accessory. 

Not so much a fashion accessory as they are people that work
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.