Pepper Grinder
Hi - just made my first pepper grinder, I've just been making pens for a while.  It came out pretty well but I have a couple of questions.

Anyone know what kind of wood it is?  I got the blank in a box of wood from a guy a while back and it was the right size.  Worked well, softer than walnut.

Also, I used Minwax tung oil as a finish, followed by buffing with wax on the wheel on the lathe.

I haven't put anything on the inside - is that okay?  I did smooth is out and blew out the dust.

Thx,
Carl

Carl

(12-24-2019, 03:13 PM)wrx4sabelle Wrote: Hi - just made my first pepper grinder, I've just been making pens for a while.  It came out pretty well but I have a couple of questions.

Anyone know what kind of wood it is?  I got the blank in a box of wood from a guy a while back and it was the right size.  Worked well, softer than walnut.

Also, I used Minwax tung oil as a finish, followed by buffing with wax on the wheel on the lathe.

I haven't put anything on the inside - is that okay?  I did smooth is out and blew out the dust.

Thx,
Carl

That looks nicely done and very useful. How tall is it?

On the lack of finish on the inside, unless the wood is aromatic, I would not put a finish on the inside. When our local cluck or our local Woodcraft do pepper grinder classes, they do not do finishes for the inside but they do use food-safe woods. The one exception to that is that one of our turners uses a plastic tube fitted to the interior to isolate the peppercorns or salt from the wood. I am not how much of his choice is style and how much is that he likes working in exotic woods.

Did you use the entire blank or do you still have a cutoff piece?

A close-up of the end grain would likely help someone ID the wood. Sorry, but I am not good at that.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks for the reply.  The grinder is 8" tall as I thought that would be a good size for my wife to use in the kitchen.  I have another kit that I will make out of walnut, I think, also 8".

I  used the end for the jam chuck, and a little was cut off due to checking, but here is the raw wood - maybe someone can tell what it is.  Doesn't have a lot of aroma.

Carl

First I would like to say "Welcome back" it has been awhile since you posted here.

To me it looks a ton like Maple but it also has the look of Adler of which I really like Red Adler.
Yes

The Grinder sure looks like it will fit in the hand nicely.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-24-2019, 11:43 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: First I would like to say "Welcome back" it has been awhile since you posted here.

To me it looks a ton like Maple but it also has the look of Adler of which I really like Red Adler.
Yes

The Grinder sure looks like it will fit in the hand nicely.

Thanks Arlin, do you mean Alder?  you may be right, it does look a lot like it.  And no I haven't been posting in a while, though I read some posts regularly.  Haven't been in the shop much but managed to make some pens for gifts, and a couple for myself.  Will post some pics in another post.  Also am working on speaker stands from left-over redwood decking from when my cousin and I repaired my folks deck a couple of years ago.  Will post some pics of those, too.  They are nothing fancy though.

The grinder was a hit with my wife, now just have to get some pepper to put in it - she dropped the jar she had right before Christmas and couldn't save any because glass was mixed up in it.  At least that won't be a problem with this one
Laugh
Carl

(12-26-2019, 07:15 PM)wrx4sabelle Wrote: Thanks Arlin, do you mean Alder?  you may be right, it does look a lot like it.  And no I haven't been posting in a while, though I read some posts regularly.  Haven't been in the shop much but managed to make some pens for gifts, and a couple for myself.  Will post some pics in another post.  Also am working on speaker stands from left-over redwood decking from when my cousin and I repaired my folks deck a couple of years ago.  Will post some pics of those, too.  They are nothing fancy though.

The grinder was a hit with my wife, now just have to get some pepper to put in it - she dropped the jar she had right before Christmas and couldn't save any because glass was mixed up in it.  At least that won't be a problem with this one
Laugh

Yep that is what I meant is Alder.  I had one piece to turn and I loved it but it was Red Alder nice read all thru it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Nice! I just made my first salt/pepper mill set for my parents...basically just took a the corners off the square blanks, since my mom has arthritis and has trouble gripping round mills.

I used thinned varnish on the outside, followed by wax. Not glossy, but I’m happy with how they turned out.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
My guess is teak.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Looks like black walnut to me
Bruce.
It looks exactly like some walnut that is on my lathe right now. Black walnut is softer than you think.