Cutting quartz countertop - cabinet toe kick
(01-14-2020, 04:12 PM)wrb Wrote: Good point.  I am also not sure if the material would take the heat without discoloration.  I will remove the door and if needed cut the machine while it is in place to remove it and then remove the toe kick section from the behind with a pry bar.  Last resort would be to cut it, but if I can reach from behind, I don't think it will be necessary to cut. 

I will post the actual experience here in case anyone finds it helpful in the future.

Do not use a pry bar!!   Try to cut the adhesive or once able to get in back heat it up to make it flexible

Large puddy knife to spread the load and allow for slicing adhesive
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Also don't put to much pressure on one side as there is a chance popping off one end will crack off the other.  A picture could be helpful
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I am curious as to why the expense of quartz for toe kick.

I always considered toe kicks as low visibility items and a matte black or matching piece of plywood was fine.

Why the quartz?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-15-2020, 08:41 AM)Cooler Wrote: I am curious as to why the expense of quartz for toe kick.

I always considered toe kicks as low visibility items and a matte black or matching piece of plywood was fine.

Why the quartz?

it's not that expensive any more.  prefab backsplash works for what he has

Phil Thien

(01-15-2020, 11:31 AM)Bob10 Wrote: it's not that expensive any more.  prefab backsplash works for what he has

If it is cheap, then just whack it with a hammer and break it out and replace it.  Quartz shatters when hit hard enough.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-15-2020, 01:26 PM)Cooler Wrote: If it is cheap, then just whack it with a hammer and break it out and replace it.  Quartz shatters when hit hard enough.

It shatters easier than that but cost isn't really the issue more often than not the issue is matching the color.  I have about 3 kitchens worth of Granite sitting against a wall.  If a piece gets shattered it becomes something used in a master bath depending on how much loss there is sometimes just the vanity top in a half bath

Phil Thien

If you take the door off, you'll probably have to take it apart 1st. There's typically a wire harness connector from the control panel/ motherboard behind the toe-kick leading up into the door. The other end is inside the door.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-14-2020, 08:30 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Do not use a pry bar!!   Try to cut the adhesive or once able to get in back heat it up to make it flexible

Large puddy knife to spread the load and allow for slicing adhesive
Agree!  When I say pry bar, this is what I meant: 
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-17007...193&sr=8-2

The straight end is pretty thin, not so dissimilar to putty knife.  Although, if I can make putty knife work, even better.
Smile 
(01-15-2020, 01:26 PM)Cooler Wrote: If it is cheap, then just whack it with a hammer and break it out and replace it.  Quartz shatters when hit hard enough.

This was custom fabrication when we renovated 8 years ago.  Why? That's because what my wife wanted:-)  It actually looks very nice as we have dark hardwood floors and cabinets are dark too.  So, visually breaking that with white quartz that matches the countertop looks great.  If I were to do it again, I would use white painted wood for the toe kicks to avoid unnecessary "projects".
(01-15-2020, 08:21 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: If you take the door off, you'll probably have to take it apart 1st. There's typically a wire harness connector from the control panel/ motherboard  behind the toe-kick leading up into the door. The other end is inside the door.

I will find out on Saturday.  Thanks to everyone, I think I have a good plan with removing the door and if needed the whole dishwasher by taking it apart in place to gain access from behind to remove the toe kick section.