Chisel Mortiser Gas tube replacement
McMaster-Carr, looks like about $19 plus shipping. https://www.mcmaster.com/gas-struts Shipping gets calculated after order, but it would surprise me if it's over $10 from them. Now...the length AND return pressure, i can't help with. I'm guessing relatively low, like 20 pounds...maybe 30. Good luck!!
earl
(02-22-2020, 10:56 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: McMaster-Carr, looks like about $19 plus shipping. https://www.mcmaster.com/gas-struts  Shipping gets calculated after order, but it would surprise me if it's over $10 from them.  Now...the length AND return pressure, i can't help with.  I'm guessing relatively low, like 20 pounds...maybe 30.  Good luck!!
earl

Thanks Greenacres, I'll look at those.

Mark
I constantly have requisitions in my manufacturing plant, for specialty items, similar to this item. We have a great local source, but if the item cannot be had there, or has a long lead time, I have these back-up sources:

MSC
McMaster-Carr
Grainger
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Is there a part number on the strut itself ?, not just a part number in the manual.   If so  that will probably tell you all the specs and be able to get a replacement.  Roly
(02-24-2020, 08:29 AM)Roly Wrote: Is there a part number on the strut itself ?, not just a part number in the manual.    If so  that will probably tell you all the specs and be able to get a replacement.  Roly

I looked and found nothing as far as markings go.

Mark
(02-22-2020, 03:28 PM)sawnuts Wrote: I have a Steel city unit and the gas assist tube is shot. Its nice but not absolutely needed but I'd like to replace it. Steel City is no more and I'm wondering if these are standard units. If so, are all similar units the same? If I bought a Powermatic or Grizzly would it work. The body (tube) is around 6" long but I'm not sure how they rate the strength. 

Has anyone had a similar situation and what was your solution? Can I stop at an auto supply and pick one up and have it work?

Thanks
Mark

Mark, "Little Machine Shop " web site has an air spring made for mini-mills that might work. $14.95 plus shipping. Part # 4079 under Replacement parts. Also you might do a search for pull down ladders with air springs. I recall installing a couple of them but do not recall the info on the air springs themselves. I had an air  spring on a mini-mill. I did not like it ,and changed to a pulley and weight system that I liked much better.
I controlled the counter weight with a gallon jug of water. I added water to the jug til the head was balanced. When I sold the mill I gave the air spring to the buyer. 
mike
(03-01-2020, 08:30 PM)mike4244 Wrote: Mark, "Little Machine Shop " web site has an air spring made for mini-mills that might work. $14.95 plus shipping. Part # 4079 under Replacement parts. Also you might do a search for pull down ladders with air springs. I recall installing a couple of them but do not recall the info on the air springs themselves. I had an air  spring on a mini-mill. I did not like it ,and changed to a pulley and weight system that I liked much better.
I controlled the counter weight with a gallon jug of water. I added water to the jug til the head was balanced. When I sold the mill I gave the air spring to the buyer. 
mike

My Steel City Mortiser has done the same. Have you found a solution? Will be watching.
WoodTinker
$35 plus shipping is probably about right. If it's the correct part it's worth it. The machine is terrible to use without it. At least mine was.
(02-22-2020, 06:57 PM)sawnuts Wrote: I did find one there for $35 plus shipping. No thanks. I'll do without at that price. I'm sure these are over the counter items and nothing special. I just need to find the correct part/length/strength.

The gas strut on my Steel City mortiser has also failed.  Where did you find one and what were it's specifications.

Thanks.

Doug
All auto parts houses has a rack with a decent selection.
Take your old one in and compare.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020