Lee Valley chisels
I picked up a 7 piece set of Lee Valley. The seller wanted $36 and I asked if he would take $30 and he immediately said yes. I met up with him and he said he didn’t know much about them and that they were his dad’s he said a feel have some chips in them. I took a look at the edges and from 3/4 to 1/4 have seen some use with the 3/8 having the chip in it looks like it hit a nail.

I know I can get the chips out with a little bit of work on some corse sand paper or diamond plate.

I think it was a good buy for a set of nice of chisels
The file was too big so I had to shrink it down so here are the chisels

Attached Files Image(s)

Those should work well.
Nice set of chisels.  Congrats on a nice score.
(02-25-2020, 04:17 PM)briman87 Wrote: I picked up a 7 piece set of Lee Valley. The seller wanted $36 and I asked if he would take $30 and he immediately said yes.

Did you feel just a twinge of shame?  
Razz  
No

Now, this box set is about $130 (of course, the seller's dad might have paid less depending on when he bought it). I wouldn't take any used tools if their prices were not at least 50% or less than their current prices (subject to conditions too). Some vendors offer 40% to 60% off for their regular stock from time to time. I'd be a fool to overpay for second hand goods.

$30 or $36 (which was about half of what I'd be willing to pay) would be a good score in my book.

$36 was the asking price; anyone who jumped on it without counter-offering something had themselves to blame. I once listed a cordless drill for $15, the buyer offered $10 and we settled for $12.50 (but he actually gave me $13). That's how second hand sale works.

Simon
(02-26-2020, 01:36 AM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Did you feel just a twinge of shame?  
Razz  
No

Only shame of he probably would have taken $25. I always like to know a little about a lot. Plus I waited about a week before I asked just to make it more in my favor.
I haggle a lot at the flea markets, but generally only when the 'ask' is a bit too high. Here the delta was $6; in NJ, a 20 oz cup of coffee is $2, so I would have paid the man his ask and be very happy; that being said, at a flea you have to make decisions quickly as if you pass on a very reasonable asking price, it won't be there when you are making your next round of the tables.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
When comparing those to my look-like-them carpentry chisels, for nails in studs, plus the testimonials over the years, I'd call the taking price a great bargain!

However, I don't bargain well, at all. If it is what I am willing to pay, it is what I ask for price. But, when turning over an item it's really hard to justify "giving" it away to someone like Handplanesandmore at less than 50%. I used to think LV did not have discounts, but the second hand market doesn't need to match LV's 40% discounts on what I assume to be returns. They are simply playing Black Friday. After all, I have received some "new" tools at new prices that obviously had been pawed through.

If bargaining meant 50% of value, I would be inclined to inflate the price from $4 a cup of Java to $8. I think that's why stupid prices reign on the Bay. Of course, they could be waiting for someone clueless, like me, who would pay the asking price.  

Maybe, I should offer a lower price on tools in the S&S forum..... ? 50%?
Second hand items offer no returns or warranty, not to mention they have been used. I discount a used tool like this:

Used: 30%
Warranty forfeited: 10%
Condition less than pristine:10%

So 50% is the minimum. Often, dealers offer promotional discounts of 30% or even 50% to brand new tools. Dewalt cordless drills are a common example.

Look at the discounts Festool is currently offering on BRAND NEW Kapex, Emerald sets etc. with the usual full warranty and return benefits. Want me to buy a second hand tool just to save 20 or 30%? Thank you very much...I pass. I would rather buy new and enjoy the protection of free returns within x days or warranty...if i need something and can't wait. If I can wait, anything second hand and not discounted 50%+ from its prevailing retail price won't get my attention.

Simon