Tips for resawing by hand?
I don't have a bandsaw handy, and I have a 6" wide board I'd like to split in half. It's 3/4" thick and 32" long. Any advice for getting it right?
(03-02-2020, 11:14 AM)overland Wrote: I don't have a bandsaw handy, and I have a 6" wide board I'd like to split in half. It's 3/4" thick and 32" long. Any advice for getting it right?

I am in the same boat (no band saw) ... I use the table saw to cut one side and then flip end for end to cut the other side ...  I do multiple passes raising the blade until i have 1/4 to 1/2" left in the middle.  Then I saw this out by hand

... but I am sure there are other ways and we'll both learn a thing or two from your post
Smile

-Brian
That's an excellent idea. Even sawing a kerf to guide the saw would keep me from getting it crooked.
I used the table saw prior to getting a bandsaw. Cut the kerfs on both sides and finish the cut with a handsaw.
FWW had a good article a few issues back about how to resaw with a handsaw.
Basically draw a line down each side of the board and across the end, put it in a vise ,cut down at 45 degrees following the line you can see across the face and end, then flip the board and cut down line facing you using kerf you just cut as a guide for the back side till you get to the bottom of it and at 45 degrees again, then flip the board and repeat.
Back side is always following kerf and fron you are following the line.
Seemed pretty good to me and long as you have a good arm and heart
For The Love Of Wood
Hmm...was TRYING to hit exact center...saw cut is 1" deep

Went all the way around...had a stack to do..

Then the Cardio Workout could begin..
Winkgrin

Hey...real SAW dust..
Cool 

Which left this to clean up..

No biggie, we have ways
Cool 

They do good work, BTW
Winkgrin

And...the reason I don't like using a bandsaw for this..

Leaves ugly marks, to clean and flatten...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I wish someone made a rip blade for use in a "reciprocating saw". I know this is in hand tools. Sometimes you just run out of steam using a hand saw. I would still rip both sides on a table saw first.
(03-02-2020, 11:14 AM)overland Wrote: I don't have a bandsaw handy, and I have a 6" wide board I'd like to split in half. It's 3/4" thick and 32" long. Any advice for getting it right?

6” isn’t too much for a rip saw. Saw the corners out. It’s ok to use a shallow angle while you are doing that, but once the cut lengthens, you need to stand up your saw to get the saw dust out of the kerf.

But remember, you can’t just go for it and try to saw across the end grain, then all the way thru.
(03-02-2020, 03:56 PM)Dara Wrote: FWW had a good article a few issues back about how to resaw with a handsaw.
Basically draw a line down each side of the board and across the end, put it in a vise ,cut down at 45 degrees following the line you can see across the face and end, then flip the board and cut down line facing you using kerf you just cut as a guide for the back side till you get to the bottom of it and at 45 degrees again, then flip the board and repeat.
Back side is always following kerf and fron you are following the line.
Seemed pretty good to me and long as you have a good arm and heart

I was going to suggest the same thing.  Bandit does it all the time.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have a pretty stout bow saw I sometimes use for resawing (usually I use my bandsaw). Start on one corner like Adams says and pay attention to keeping things aligned. Constant adjustment and keeping an eye on the saw track is necessary if you aren't used to doing it by hand. (For a board as long as yours, you want a bow saw where the blade can be rotated. Otherwise, a rip saw works fine.) If you are creating veneers, the table saw might be the best way. If you are creating panels, my preference is to keep the kerf as thin as possible, to prevent any potential cupping, twisting, or warping after the cut. Depending on the moisture content of the wood, you may need to sticker the two pieces and weight them down to keep them flat while they are stabilizing. Complete the cut as quickly as possible to avoid any of that warping or twisting causing your blade to jam in the cut.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill