Clicking Fridge
I've got a top freezer, GE fridge.  Last week it started making a shaking, clicking noise.  It sounds like chattering teeth. It seems to be coming from the control unit on top of the fridge compartment.
(Sorry my video isn't working. I'll try again soon.)
Fridge seems to be working fine, but I'm guessing this is not a good sign.
Any ideas what's causing it and whether I can fix it?  Or should I start looking for another fridge?

Thanks. I hope everyone's happy and healthy.

(03-14-2020, 10:50 AM)David Stone Wrote: I've got a top freezer, GE fridge.  Last week it started making a shaking, clicking noise.  It sounds like chattering teeth. It seems to be coming from the control unit on top of the fridge compartment.
(Sorry my video isn't working.  I'll try again soon.)
Fridge seems to be working fine, but I'm guessing this is not a good sign.
Any ideas what's causing it and whether I can fix it?  Or should I start looking for another fridge?

Thanks. I hope everyone's happy and healthy.

Most likely the defrost timer if it's an older unit. They are pretty generic and the motors and gears wear as well as the contacts get burned and worn over time as well.
(03-14-2020, 11:48 AM)Robert Adams Wrote:  
            Most likely the defrost timer if it's an older unit. They are pretty generic and the motors and gears wear as well as the contacts get burned and worn over time as well.

I was thinking ice maker drive motor or coupler.  I wasn't aware of mechanical defrost timer, but that would certainly make a similar noise.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-14-2020, 11:54 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I was thinking ice maker drive motor or coupler.  I wasn't aware of mechanical defrost timer, but that would certainly make a similar noise.

Good point on the ice maker. My first thought was the timer as I replaced bunches of them in refrigeration equipment back when I did comm refrig. It's been quite a few years since home use fridges had them but they are still used in commercial units which is why I said older fridge. I think some home freezers may still use them but dunnow. 

My parents sub zero would burn through one about once a year until it finally died last year by venting it's refrigerant... Course it was one of the old good ones from 86. Sadly the efficiency of the new fridge was virtually the same as the new fridge though the shelving etc on the new one was much nicer than the old wire ones though nowhere near as durable as the old one.
Thanks.  This should be a video with the sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dWvVnB_zYU

I had a different fridge with an ice maker, and this sounds similar to the noise it made right before it popped out the ice.
However, this fridge doesn't have the ice making unit attached.  
Anything I can do to fix it? Or just wait until it breaks?

(03-15-2020, 05:51 PM)David Stone Wrote: Thanks.  This should be a video with the sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dWvVnB_zYU

I had a different fridge with an ice maker, and this sounds similar to the noise it made right before it popped out the ice.
However, this fridge doesn't have the ice making unit attached.  
Anything I can do to fix it? Or just wait until it breaks?

Is there a damper door that switches the cold air between the refrigerator and freezer ?  If so it may be stuck, most likely ice on it.   Roly
That is weird. I was going to suggest it might also be it defrosting and you are hearing the ice crackle but after the video that doesn't sound like ice to me. Sounds more mechanical or you have a woodpecker hiding in there. I'm not sure. Look up the model number and see where the defrost timer or module is and see if it sounds like the noise is coming from there. Past that dunnow. Doesn't sound refrigerant in nature or compressor either.
(03-15-2020, 06:25 PM)Roly Wrote: Is there a damper door that switches the cold air between the refrigerator and freezer ?  If so it may be stuck, most likely ice on it.   Roly

Very likely a damper sticking. That one passed by me.
Sure sounds like the fan to me.  Ice building up pr something trying to fall into it.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(03-15-2020, 07:35 PM)blackhat Wrote: Sure sounds like the fan to me.  Ice building up pr something trying to fall into it.

+1 I would check that first.  I have gotten to it by removing the bottom panel of the freezer.

Alternative is use a hair dryer to shoot some hot air up from the fridge side of chute. 

If is the fan icing up eventually the fan stops and the fridge quits working.  And the noise stops, too.

I've had this happen if the refrige door is left a jar.

That said, it could also be the ice maker, you should be able to localize the noise by sticking your head in there.