toilet hose replacement
Every time up to now when I have replaced a toilet fill valve I have replaced the hose that goes from the fill valve to the water shut off. And, every time I do this I wonder if I should have just used the old hose since there really was nothing wrong with it. 
What do you guys do? Are these hoses meant to be re-used? Or does the seal take a set from the old fill valve?  

How much should I tighten these?  I think I had been using 3/4 turn after the seal contacts.  

Thanks
My shutoff valve was stuck.  So I replaced the valve and the hose.  I have a stainless steel braided hose.  I don't know if it is any better, but it looks nicer.

Toilet hoses, unlike car heater hoses, are not subject to any hot water or direct exposure to the sun, two things that deteriorate rubber.  I would think it would last 20 years or longer, especially since it never gets flexed.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I don't change out the hose unless something appears to be wrong with it. They only cost a few bucks so if it gives you peace of mind that you have a new hose on it then by all means replace it.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
I prefer plated tube.  Harder to work with, but won't let go unexpectedly.  Looks nicer, too.

Bends easily with the spring sheath over it that's made for that purpose - to prevent kinking.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I change the hoses every 10 years, needed or not.  A flood would be devastating.  I have also heard that some insurance companies will not cover water damage from a burst hose since it is a maintenance item that you did not maintain.  This may be from the conspiracy files but these hoses are relatively cheap.

I use the stainless steel braided hose.  We're in earthquake country so flex hoses are a better choice for us.
(05-05-2020, 12:25 PM)DustyDan Wrote: I change the hoses every 10 years, needed or not.  A flood would be devastating.  I have also heard that some insurance companies will not cover water damage from a burst hose since it is a maintenance item that you did not maintain.  This may be from the conspiracy files but these hoses are relatively cheap.

I use the stainless steel braided hose.  We're in earthquake country so flex hoses are a better choice for us.

And I read that the largest single area of claims for homeowners is water damage from the garden hose tap when the pipes freeze.  I didn't do the math but here are the numbers:  https://youngalfred.com/blog/most-common...-frequency

It looks like "wind and hail" edge out "water damage and freezing".  NOTE:  The link is formatted better for easier reading.

Claims Each Year
Average Damage
Wind and Hail
1 in 47 homes
$10,182
Water Damage and Freezing
1 in 49 homes
$10,234
All Other Property Damage
1 in 151 homes
$5,823
Theft
1 in 323 homes
$4,264
Fire and Lightning
1 in 357 homes
$68,322
Bodily Injury/Property Damage
1 in 1,250 homes
$26,085
Medical Payments
1 in 3,300 homes
$3,465
Dog Bites
1 in 3,250 homes
$44,760
Credit Card Theft
1 in 10,000 homes
$368
All Homeowners Claims
1 in 16 homes
$15,532
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-05-2020, 10:57 AM)Allen Wrote: I don't change out the hose unless something appears to be wrong with it. They only cost a few bucks so if it gives you peace of mind that you have a new hose on it then by all means replace it.

Al

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I had to replace the tube a couple weeks ago. it started leaking at the "fer-oh". I tried tightening it and that didn't work. I got a stainless hose.

Today toilet starts leaking from one of the tank connecting bolts. I slowed it by tightening, but didn't want to push it. New bolts tomorrow.

Working from home means it's getting a lot more work!
I change hose just about everytime.  I really hate to have something I worked on fail in another place for a few dollars.  The cost in gas to return is more than a hose
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I change the supply lines every time I put in a new fixture.
VH07V