Alternate Solvent for Shellac
Given the difficulties associated with getting alcohol let alone stuff at 90%, I am looking for alternate solvents with which to mix up some shellac. Does the alternate require different ratios than alcohol?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(05-09-2020, 07:57 PM)cputnam Wrote: Given the difficulties associated with getting alcohol let alone stuff at 90%, I am looking for alternate solvents with which to mix up some shellac.  Does the alternate require different ratios than alcohol?

Shelves full at three different hardware stores here. Paint and solvent section, sold as camping stove fuel. Up to 50% methanol however.

Everclear from liquor (the packie) too.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(05-09-2020, 09:20 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Shelves full at three different hardware stores here. Paint and solvent section, sold as camping stove fuel. Up to 50% methanol however.

Everclear from liquor (the packie) too.

+1,  My Home Depot has 24 gallons in stock.   Look for denatured alcohol.    Roly
Although I've read that anhydrous alcohol is preferred, and some people use everclear, in over 20 years of mixing my own I've never had any problem with the denatured gallons I've gotten at HD/Lowes.  Its available around here in NJ.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Instructions for building a still are all over the net.

Win-win.
70% isopropyl is somewhat available. Unable to find 90% stuff, either DNA or Iso). Everclear is pretty spendy although I will get a chance to find out just how much at the end of the week.

So - no one knows of an alternative to alcohol?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(05-10-2020, 02:22 PM)cputnam Wrote: 70% isopropyl is somewhat available.  Unable to find 90% stuff, either DNA or Iso).  Everclear is pretty spendy although I will get a chance to find out just how much at the end of the week.

I just found out California banned DNA this year, so that is why you can't find it. 70 % isopropyl has water in it which will blush shellac.   Don't look like Everclear is legal in CA either.   Roly
(05-10-2020, 02:22 PM)cputnam Wrote: 70% isopropyl is somewhat available.  Unable to find 90% stuff, either DNA or Iso).  Everclear is pretty spendy although I will get a chance to find out just how much at the end of the week.

Water is supposed to work but I only have a vague recollection of reading about it. Might have been something that Don Williams wrote about. His blog is Barn on White River or similar.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks for the info. [string of foul language] - gotta wash my mouth out now.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Here is an article which might throw flames on often discussed subject!
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2019/08/...ed-alcohol

more expensive than either ISO or DNA!
https://www.theliquorbarn.com/everclear-...oof-750ml/

makes me wonder if going Kosher would work for less money?
https://www.amazon.com/everclear-alcohol...ar+alcohol

Government wants taxes on alcohol sales so even with a still will have to get a license pay taxes. To keep un-taxed alcohol from the public DNA contains poisons! While think a still is a great idea, cost of the little bit will actually need too expensive in bot time & money! Whether you get your alcohol from big box store, chemical or medical supplier, liquor store cheaper to buy than make your own.

I do not know of any substitute for alcohol as a thinner or solvent for shellac. There is no end to discussion which alcohol is best for that purpose! Today other than big box or liquor store your best bet, those other sources using lot of alcohol to combat spread of coronavirus.
Bill