Gluing up frames
Looking for best method of clamping up frames.  Picture 4 and 6 sided, say 12 to 30 inch diagonal.
I was about to buy a band clamp, but looking for experienced advise.
What kind of frames?  Picture frames?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-15-2020, 10:12 AM)Cooler Wrote: What kind of frames?  Picture frames?

Could be others, but picture frames for sure.
(05-15-2020, 10:31 AM)Demps Wrote: Could be others, but picture frames for sure.

For 4-sided, mitered picture frames, I've had good success with strap clamps.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(05-15-2020, 10:06 AM)Demps Wrote: Looking for best method of clamping up frames.  Picture 4 and 6 sided, say 12 to 30 inch diagonal.

In both cases I've used band clamps, with and without the little plastic corner gizmos. Mostly without because I find them fiddly. There is the possibility of damage to outside corners either from over pressure or from glue bonding to the strap material. Found that blue tape makes a decent enough barrier and only apply as much pressure as needed to close gaps.

On 4-sided picture frames I have tried using either glue-blocks or home-made clamping cauls which allow you to place an F-clamp across the joint. The home-made cauls look sort of like the commercial ones that you first clamp to each of the 4 sides and have a nub sticking out to allow the corner crossing F-clamp.  Worked but found it more fiddly. Maybe for larger glue-ups it would work better than a band clamp.

Tried several different band clamps from the cheap HF ones (they work fine) to more expensive Bessy ones (also they work fine). My preference is for whichever is hanging closest and is cleanest. It is important to keep as much gunk off the bands as possible. Also it may be necessary to have some little wooden shims to keep the mechanism from denting the side of the material as the band is tightened.

And for small stuff, I just make sure the miters are good, glue size the joints to prevent glue starve and just use blue-tape as my clamps. Likely I'll be adding splines later anyway.

I've not done more than 8-sided with these methods. Usually 4-sided picture frames and small boxes.

YMMV
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

I have picture frame clamps in this and a much larger size. They work well, other than being quite fiddly to use.

I prefer strap clamps. I have three types. 

The first I bought was this kind. Turns out is is rather weak(plastic parts) and I seldom use them.

I did find a similar type that has a metal strap(with corner adapters) that is MUCH stronger, but kinda fiddly to use because of the metal strap being unweildy to position.

My favorite clamp 
    is this type. I use it to clamp odd shapes, has corner adapters, and is fairly easy to set up.

The key to acceptable use procedure is how difficult the set up is. Most importantly, how easy it is to square the frame in the clamp. The mechanical types(like the first example are difficult. There are several styles of mechanical clamps(threaded rods/thumbscrews on each side) and they are all really fiddly.

The other two types I showed are much easier to position the frame in the clamp and adjust.
(05-15-2020, 10:06 AM)Demps Wrote: Looking for best method of clamping up frames.  Picture 4 and 6 sided, say 12 to 30 inch diagonal.

My new favorite trick - use a couple dabs of thick CYA glue and normal wood glue.. bit of activator, press together for a couple seconds with your fingers, and viola, clamped and ready for the PVA glue to dry.
(05-15-2020, 02:00 PM)mound Wrote: My new favorite trick - use a couple dabs of thick CYA glue and normal wood glue.. bit of activator, press together for a couple seconds with your fingers, and viola, clamped and ready for the PVA glue to dry.

That is great advice.  I use this method for delicate trim work and dentil molding.  for picture frames I use some shop made "Blokkz".  This is just an example picture.

Ah, this pic is better.

When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

GeeDub's blokkz  are a great thing to have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They work on small and large projects.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I favor the old pony band clamps KL pictured.
For really large frames, the Bessey VAS really works great.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.