Quick 220 Tool Electrical Q
My new 220 power tool just arrived with no plug on the cord. 

I got a plug [regular ground, one side is horizontal and the other side is vertical] but I'm confused by how to wire it. 

the cord has a green/ground, white and black. 

The green/ground is obvious.

However, the plug's receptacles for the white and black are not marked at all. Nor does the tool manual offer help.

Can I put the white and black into either one? 

if not, does black go to the horizontal or the vertical prong?
White and black are both hot: no neutral on 220 devices. You can put black on either screw, white on the other.
(07-09-2020, 06:58 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: White and black are both hot: no neutral on 220 devices. You can put black on either screw, white on the other.

+1, that is how to wire it.   Roly
(07-09-2020, 06:58 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: White and black are both hot: no neutral on 220 devices. You can put black on either screw, white on the other.

Big thanks!
(07-09-2020, 09:14 PM)Murray M Wrote: Big thanks!

You forgot the details - what tool did you get!!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(07-09-2020, 06:47 PM)Murray M Wrote: I got a plug [regular ground, one side is horizontal and the other side is vertical] but I'm confused by how to wire it. 

That sounds like a 20A, 220 (240) vac plug. I assume you have the appropriate receptacle for this?
(07-10-2020, 12:08 AM)Don_M Wrote: I assume you have the appropriate receptacle for this?

Please do check, with a voltmeter, between the two straight blades.  And in the panel there should be a 2-pole breaker with handle tie, or (like Square D QO series), a 2-pole that fills two slots but has a single toggle lever that off-center.

Here's a NEMA straight blade chart.  The receptacle should have a tee-shaped slot and a straight slot, plus ground (NEMA 6-20R), and will accept a 6-15 plug as well as the 6-20 plug you have.  The plug is as you described, but be aware that the 125V version looks like it but is a mirror image (won't plug into a 250V receptacle, and vice-versa).  Just make sure you have the right one (should be marked "250V")

Just to repeat what's already been repeated, both conductors are hot, so it doesn't matter which lugs they go on, as long as it's not the green/ground lug.

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(07-09-2020, 09:42 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: You forgot the details - what tool did you get!!

Yes, inquiring minds need to know!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(07-09-2020, 09:42 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: You forgot the details - what tool did you get!!

Plus the required pictures.
Slap

Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-10-2020, 04:32 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Plus the required pictures.
Slap

Winkgrin

Big post coming...