Formica corners problems
(07-28-2020, 09:32 AM)Admiral Wrote:  I'm fairly certain that the substrates they use nowadays would not last as long....

They're using particle board these days. I've done a few with it and it's fine. Flatter than plywood. But you need a couple coats of contact cement on the board. The 1st coat has to dry before the 2nd coat.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(07-28-2020, 10:52 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: They're using particle board these days. I've done a few with it and it's fine. Flatter than plywood. But you need a couple coats of contact cement on the board. The 1st coat has to dry before the 2nd coat.

You also have to protect the underside from water.  My kitchen counter had no such protection and over the dishwasher the particle board is crumbling. 

At a minimum, I would seal it with some poly.  I do worry about the heat though.

Aluminum roofing tape might work, but the adhesive might not hold up well to the heat of the dishwasher.  

I think I would staple on some regular aluminum flashing extending about 1 foot on each side of the dishwasher.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-28-2020, 11:37 AM)Cooler Wrote: You also have to protect the underside from water.  My kitchen counter had no such protection and over the dishwasher the particle board is crumbling. 

At a minimum, I would seal it with some poly.  I do worry about the heat though.

Aluminum roofing tape might work, but the adhesive might not hold up well to the heat of the dishwasher.  

I think I would staple on some regular aluminum flashing extending about 1 foot on each side of the dishwasher.

I put Formica on the underside of the countertop in the dishwasher area for that reason.   The original countertop had the same issue as yours.   Roly
(07-28-2020, 11:37 AM)Cooler Wrote: You also have to protect the underside from water.  My kitchen counter had no such protection and over the dishwasher the particle board is crumbling. 

That is what backer lam is for
Back to the corners....
If there is enough overhang, miter them. Get some scraps from the cabinet shop and glue them on.
Get a laminate file to dress the edges down.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Formica countertops are relatively inexpensive.

I suggest you replace the entire thing, and incorporate a round edging.

Yes.....do it up right so you're both happy....  and you only cry once. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=rounded+...6LI0xwbJ2M
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(07-28-2020, 01:10 PM)barnowl Wrote: Formica countertops are relatively inexpensive.

I suggest you replace the entire thing, and incorporate a round edging.

Yes.....do it up right so you're both happy....  and you only cry once. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=rounded+...6LI0xwbJ2M

That is not how I saw the issue.  I suggested this approach (see below) which I used on my butcher block.  Indeed if  butcher block would look good adjacent to the formica, I would be inclined to put that in.  It makes a good work surface, and it warms up a kitchen.  I don't use mine as a work surface (I have cutting boards), so I put on three costs of oil based poly and waited two weeks before really using the surface.

[Image: IMG_4536-495x400.jpg]

This guy modified his peninsula at a claimed $400.00 total.  A lot of bendy board.

https://www.domino.com/content/kitchen-p...enovation/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-27-2020, 07:18 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:          Why should the contractor fix something they didn't do wrong. She didn't want to pay the extra for the curved so they made them square.

As for formica corners I don't like curves as they cone off eventually. Miters are the way to go but adding them after the fact... Not easy and not long lasting due to what you have to do to do it.

Not the shape, the fact they peel. But I now see the corners have not yet failed.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry