Garage shops on the west coat - air cleaners vs. mass fires?
Oh, the air outside is frightful, but the woodworking's so delightful...

For years I've gotten by with a dust collector and periodically wiping up the fine dust that eventually coats all surfaces. This year is particularly bad, though, and the far side of my shop (all 20' away) is lost in a haze of smoke. This got me looking at commercial air cleaners; Woodcraft currently has a Jet model on sale, and Grizzly has a selection of options as well. Unfortunately, I can't find any recent reviews of any models - a search online is lost in a spew of "my totally trusted review site" with bad grammar and Amazon referral links. 

Is anyone using an air cleaner to combat the smoke? Does it work? If so, do you have a preferred model?
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
(09-13-2020, 02:08 PM)abernat Wrote: Oh, the air outside is frightful, but the woodworking's so delightful...

For years I've gotten by with a dust collector and periodically wiping up the fine dust that eventually coats all surfaces. This year is particularly bad, though, and the far side of my shop (all 20' away) is lost in a haze of smoke. This got me looking at commercial air cleaners; Woodcraft currently has a Jet model on sale, and Grizzly has a selection of options as well. Unfortunately, I can't find any recent reviews of any models - a search online is lost in a spew of "my totally trusted review site" with bad grammar and Amazon referral links. 

Is anyone using an air cleaner to combat the smoke? Does it work? If so, do you have a preferred model?

Yes.

I am in Eugene Oregon. It is raining smoke and ash here. I have a 30 x 50 shop in an outbuilding and am running 2 air cleaners full blast, full time. One is a JDS ceiling hanging HEPA filter. The other is a Rabbit Air filter (also HEPA, commonly used in homes). The air is very good inside the shop.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I don't have anything to bring to the table, but a bunch of people (including me) have Jet collectors that quit working due to a circuit board issue. Mine is probably 15 years old, and they hopefully have addressed the issue. Try to find new reviews on them. Even make a call to jet and ask.
My Jet is only 10 years old, but it's still working fine. During allergy season I circulate house air into the basement shop with the cleaner running, and it alleviates my wife's allergies. If this one breaks and I can't fix it, I'll definitely get another air cleaner.

Circuit boards are available https://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-af...32818.html but they are expensive enough I'd probably just hardwire the motor and run it through a timer instead.