automotive - jumper cables vs. jumper packs
My jumper cables need to be replaced, so I was wondering if I should be looking at a jump starter pack, instead.

This is mostly for use at home, in cases where we left a car in the driveway with a reading light on.
(if we're away from home and manage to drain the battery, a call to AAA brings out a truck with a jump pack)

How difficult is keeping the jump pack ready to go?
(do they need to be kept on a trickle charge, or do they hold charge well?)

Matt
(10-14-2020, 03:11 PM)mdhills Wrote: My jumper cables need to be replaced, so I was wondering if I should be looking at a jump starter pack, instead.

This is mostly for use at home, in cases where we left a car in the driveway with a reading light on.
(if we're away from home and manage to drain the battery, a call to AAA brings out a truck with a jump pack)

How difficult is keeping the jump pack ready to go?
(do they need to be kept on a trickle charge, or do they hold charge well?)

Matt

I bought one 2-3 years ago.  I've used it a handful of times and it works well.  I keep mine in my truck, so I always have it with me.  I just have to remember to charge it once in a while.  It does hold a charge for a fairly long time though.  I'll never mess with jumper cables again.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I was skeptical at first, but the jumper packs work very well.
LOML gave me one for Christmas a few years back. I have
used it several times to jump others. It lives in my truck, takes
up little space.

"Halo" is the brand iirc.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
How often do you guys recharge them?
(I think I saw at least one recommendation for "every 6 months"?)
Is there any issue with the battery packs failing catastrophically?

Matt
I charge mine, or at least check it, every 3 or 6 months (can't recall which). I just put it on a calendar entry on my phone with some other stuff I need to do periodically (change air filters, grease garage door, etc.).

No problem with battery failure, and I've got two, with the older one probably 3-4 years old (and in Texas heat).

I have two, one for each car.  There are reviews online.  Get one with decent reviews.  I recharge it every 3 or 4 months.  Unline the old lead cell packs, the new ones are small, light and don't lose their charge very quickly. 

Get one rated for the size engine you have.  If you have a big block V-8 you will need a more powerful one than if you are running a small four.  And if you have a diesel, you will need the largest available.

And while you are at it, get a Milwaukee tire inflator, which is cheap enough if you are already in the Milwaukee battery system and don't need to buy a charger.  Or get a cheaper tire inflator that hooks up to your cigarette lighter.  Those cost just $30.00 to $40.00.

The Milwaukee one performs better, but since it will be rarely used, not a major issue.  But keep the  Milwaukee battery charged--I recharge every 3 - 4 months.  The cigarette jack versions do not have that constraint.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Last year my truck battery went dead, sitting at the airport.  AAA came out with one of those jump packs, but it didn't work.  Needless to say, I don't trust them.
Jump pack is good, but I would never own a car without jumper cables.

Around here, when it gets cold, AAA is often booked out well over an hour.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I got one for each car a few years back and they have saved me a trip to jump the kids cars a couple times. The kids have also used them to start their friends cars several times as well. My only advice - go big, don't buy the tiny ones that say they are for 4cyl cars. Just get the bigger v8 version for all of them - you wont be sorry.
My car's owners' manual (I forget which one) warned against using jumper cables.  If the polarity is reversed in error it can cause damage to both cars.

So using a battery pack makes the person offering the jump safe from damage.  The risk of damage to the car needing the jump remains the same (if I understand this correctly).

https://itstillruns.com/happens-jumper-c...80445.html

What Happens If Jumper Cables Are Reversed on a Battery?

Damage Due to Incorrect Polarity

When the jumper cables are incorrectly connected, the polarity of the electrical system on the vehicle with the dead battery will be reversed for a few seconds. This can irreparably damage many of the sensitive electronic components that are common on today's vehicles, such as on-board computers and electronic sensors.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.