Cordless Drill-Driver Recommendation
While I have gotten my monies' worth out of my 1993 9.6V Makita, I think it's time for an upgrade. While I don't think I need an impact driver I'm open to that option. Mostly I use it for drilling wood and metal and driving lots of screws. I also have use it for power sanding and buffing for woodturning on occasion. I don't want one made in China if possible. Max I want to spend on a driver/charger/battery kit is $300.

DeWalt advertises some of their stuff made in USA, but has their quality remained good?
Cellulose runs through my veins!
If you're driving a lot of screws, an impact driver is really the way to go. So you should look at a drill/impact combo kit.

Actually I'm beginning to wonder about DeWalt. Seems like Black and Decker buys a brand and destroys it, just like Porter Cable.  That said, I've got a couple DW 12V drills that have to be 5 years old and I use A LOT.  I reach for them because they are lightweight, for heavier work I use a Milwaukee M18 drill.

Personally I've been buying more Milwaukee cordless stuff lately and I think they are a notch above DW.

If you're looking for a lighter drill, so you might look at the M12 stuff.

Bottom line I think all of them will get the job done.  The only brand I will never buy again is Ryobi.
(11-03-2020, 10:37 AM)SteveS Wrote: While I have gotten my monies' worth out of my 1993 9.6V Makita, I think it's time for an upgrade. While I don't think I need an impact driver I'm open to that option. Mostly I use it for drilling wood and metal and driving lots of screws. I also have use it for power sanding and buffing for woodturning on occasion. I don't want one made in China if possible. Max I want to spend on a driver/charger/battery kit is $300.

DeWalt advertises some of their stuff made in USA, but has their quality remained good?

I poo-pooed impact drivers until I used one...Just wish I had a drill index with hex shanks...
Have had great luck with Ryobi cordless tools, but my impact driver is a Worx, very compact, well balanced and powerful...
Take a look at the Ridgid drivers. If you register them properly they're covered by their Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) which covers the tool and also the batteries. When I've had other brands in the past when a battery goes bad it was cheaper to buy a new tool than it was to replace the battery. I've had a couple batteries replaced under the LSA. And the tools have always worked well for me.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
For everyday woodshop and household use, I'd buy a Milwaukee M-12 12 volt drill driver. It's compact, has plenty of power and has good batteries. I find the extra power of the 18 volt drill drivers unnecessary in the woodshop, and the large size and weight of the 18 volt units are disadvantages. I have the M-18 Milwaukee and it seldom gets used. I use my 12 volt drill and impact driver almost every day an am very happy with them.
I agree with the recommendation to consider an impact driver. They are more efficient than a drill driver at driving screws. Probably the biggest advantage of having both an impact driver and a drill driver is the fact that you don't have to switch back and forth between drill bits and driver bits.
You can purchase a Milwaukee M-12 drill driver and impact driver set with batteries for less than $200. See here:

https://www.amazon.com/M12-Lithium-Ion-C...87&sr=8-12
(11-03-2020, 11:06 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I poo-pooed impact drivers until I used one...J

Same here.  Now I think I use my impact driver more than my drill.  I bought a Makita combo kit a few years ago.  It's been great.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I have a Ridgid drill/driver from Home Depot.  It has provided good service and was priced very competitively.

Lately, I have gotten into the Milwaukee system and when it comes time to replace the drill (and the circular saw) I will probably buy a Milwaukee unit.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
18v milwaukee is my go-to for most things drilling.  not sure about 12v for the different things you listed . . . maybe just me, but i'd prefer 18v.
Steve - you’ve got a pretty tall order there.   You don’t say what capacities you need.  I’ll assume it’s modest given you’re on 9.6 NiCad now. 

DeWalt drivers are pretty good , especially given SBD’s penchant for flogging brands.  While they are “assembled” in the USA, it’s my understanding most of the components are from China. 

I disagree on part with the impact lovers for screws. If you’re driving 2 1/2”  to 4” screws -or -hundreds of 1 1/2”s all day - then sure. In the shop for routine assembly or field on punch out. NO WAY.  They’re loud and you stand a good chance overdriving the fastener.  No clutch or depth control. No finesse.

One thing you should be aware of on these small 10.8 - 12v drills is the speed. Most don’t rotate fast enough to be good at buffing /polishing. 

This meets your criteria, and there’s a t handle version for same price.  It’s quite capable, but long in the tooth, not brushless, and you cannot expand your collection with the battery platform because they don’t offer anything else.  Not made in P.R.C or the USA........or Mexico. 

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/dril...s#Overview

The brands that do have expandable platforms are going to be made in Asia.  You should also get your hands on models your considering because feel is important with these.   Bosch and Milwaukee’s 12v drills are kissin cousins , but their handles are polar opposites. Bosch is fat , Milwaukee is slim. Makita’s in between.  Balance is also to be considered.
I have had Dewalts for 28 years and before that it was Black and Decker pro when they were good.  I just bought a new Dewalt combo pack and really like it.  When I said I had Dewalts I had 10 of them at one time as I supplied 2 other people for work.