Shapton stones
I have the regular Shapton stones and wondered if the glass backed Shaptons are better?  Woodcraft has a special buy on one today and I hate to miss a good deal especially since I need one that grit to fill in my collection. 

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
Hard to say if they are better, but they certainly are thinner!  I would want the full thickness stones, but if it is a grit you might not use often and they are really a good deal, go for it.

The various stones used to be the hotly debated topic on this forum.....we are talking ten years ago.  Shaptons were thought by many to be superior and they paid the premium price.  The glass stones lowered the price threshold, but there were many who complained about their short life.  That said, I have no personal experience with them.  Perhaps others here can enlighten you from their experience.
i just tasted the glas stones once. I liekd them much. they seam to be a bit more creamy than my standard shapton. But I sure like my standard shapton, too. the orange 100 is the best stone of all.

Cheers
Pedder
(11-04-2020, 06:54 PM)AztecKing Wrote: I have the regular Shapton stones and wondered if the glass backed Shaptons are better?  Woodcraft has a special buy on one today and I hate to miss a good deal especially since I need one that grit to fill in my collection. 

Jeff

No, they are not better.  They do come in finer grits than the Shapton Professional stones (e.g. 30K grit), but they won't sharpen faster than a Shapton Pro, and you seriously are getting much less stone for your money, since they are so thin.  I had a couple.  I sold them.  My stone of choice now are Sigma Power Select.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-06-2020, 09:01 PM)AHill Wrote: No, they are not better.  They do come in finer grits than the Shapton Professional stones (e.g. 30K grit), but they won't sharpen faster than a Shapton Pro, and you seriously are getting much less stone for your money, since they are so thin.  I had a couple.  I sold them.  My stone of choice now are Sigma Power Select.

Thanks for the help. I love my Shaptons but was curious. 

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!