Ultrasonic pest control recommendation needed
We've become hosts to a mouse or more likely mice in the house. LOML found acorns, whole and partially eaten in her sweater drawer in her dresser. We'd like to try an ultrasonic gizmo to chase them out of the house but the variety and price range is mind boggling. They range from 6 for $25 to $40ish each on Amazoo.

We'd appreciate input from anyone with experience (good or bad) with these devices and a recommendation of brand/model to buy or to avoid.

Thanks for reading,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
IMHO, I think you're wasting your time looking for one of these things that work, and if you buy one, you'll be wasting your money, too.  I've had neighbors try them, and none worked.  Brand was irrelevant.  I have also looked for reliable information that indicates which ones work.  The only articles that I found were on sites that were shilling for devices on Amazon.

The devices might work for a short time, but the rodents become accustomed to them.

Best to find the rodents' entry location and block that off.  You'll also need to go on a trapping spree.

We had a HUGE mouse issue when we moved into our rural acreage six years ago.  I started putting out a few traps, gradually putting out more to the point that I had 15 set every night.  I got as many as 11 mice in one night.  I finally gained on 'em after a month, and I also noticed that the most active areas were two specific spots on the sill plate.  I haven't found the all of the spots they entered; I suspect there's still a tiny entry gap between the siding and the foundation.  I have two traps that are close, set on the sill plate on top of the foundation.  I catch one in either of those two traps about once per month.  I haven't discovered any other evidence of mice in the past five years.
Get a cat, preferably a shelter cat that's had to fend for itself a while. Close the dryer.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
5 gallon bucket mouse trap; there are many designs on youtube, this is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEaAlxCgO5U
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-10-2020, 08:48 PM)MsNomer Wrote: Get a cat, preferably a shelter cat that's had to fend for itself a while.  Close the dryer.

Yup that's the answer. Cats made human civilization possible by controlling rodents. We have no mice, rats or snakes here. And daughter needs to find a new home for her cat as we are not taking in any new permanent  tennants.
(11-10-2020, 08:17 PM)shoottmx Wrote: We've become hosts to a mouse or more likely mice in the house. LOML found acorns, whole and partially eaten in her sweater drawer in her dresser. We'd like to try an ultrasonic gizmo to chase them out of the house but the variety and price range is mind boggling. They range from 6 for $25 to $40ish each on Amazoo.

We'd appreciate input from anyone with experience (good or bad) with these devices and a recommendation of brand/model to buy or to avoid.

Thanks for reading,

g

Tried them,not worth the powder to blow it to hell.Total useless piece of crap.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
What Mel said.....

Ed
Another reaffirmation of what Mel said. Come up with another approach.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Well, that's the first time I can recall a uninamious response to anything on WNet. A cat isn't an option so we'll go the multi trap route.

Thanks to all. Appreciate the info,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(11-11-2020, 07:39 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Well, that's the first time I can recall a uninamious response to anything on WNet. A cat isn't an option so we'll go the multi trap route.

Thanks to all. Appreciate the info,

g

You didn't ask, but I'll offer up anyway, these are my "go-to" traps:  Jawz

I have 12 of them right now.  Some of these traps have been in service for five years.  Only ever had three that I've pitched out for breakage.  Also effective well over 90% of the time.  I've found that the traditional wood base "snap-trap" was easily robbed by the mice, and the more they were exposed to those, the less successful they were.

As for cats, my experience is that well-fed house cats make poor mousers.