Upgrading Drill Press - Suggestions
(12-21-2020, 08:20 AM)KyleD Wrote: HP is not really needed on a drill press. The bigger bits that require more power are supposed to run slower. The drill press has a variable ratio drive; either belts or gears. When the rpms are lowered the torque is multiplied.
You do not mention one of the most needed specifications which is quill travel. Try to find one with 5" or more of travel.
Another specification to look for is lowest RPM. Some drill presses do not turn slow enough to run large bits without overheating the edges and dulling them.

The more hp the better! This also translates into greater torque at lower speeds with larger bits. 

Longer quill travel is another bonus when discovered. The Nova Voyager has 6” where most others have around 3”. This means that there is less disruption when changing up sizes of drill bits.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
A Walker Turner radial drill press with a three phase motor. Add on a variable frequencey drive and you have the ultimate drilling machine.

This beast with the normal cast iron table comes in at around 800 lbs, so it would take alot of disassembly to take it down stairs and into a basement. If you have the space and can find one within a reasonable driving distance, the Drill and VFD should fit your budget

Space wise the footprint is much larger than a typical floor model, but the stability of any floor model DP pales in comparison to the WT radial.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/d...x?id=10366
My .02
Karl

Hp and Torque for some are just bragging rights.  When you look at 1.5 or 2.0 true HP on a motor turning at 1750 RPM, the belts will slip before you use all the HP.  At 2 HP, you really need a geared head drill press.  Just be cautious on some of the claims on the Asian machines.  Using the Nova drill press as an example, it really is not a 2 HP drill press.  Their brochure states 1.75 HP on 115 volts at 10 amps.  Sorry, the electrical calculations don't hold up.  It's the old shop vacuum claims where you were getting 7 HP on your small shop vac.  Those are theoretical numbers based on in rush of current, not actual numbers.  Also, as you slow the direct drive motors, you lose torque.  The reeves drive or stepped pulley drill presses increase torque as you slow them.  Finally, the Nova has 6 inches of quill travel, not 12 inches. 

As others have pointed out, there are a lot of the older Rockwells, Walker Turners and Powermatics that are a fraction of the costs of the new Asian machines, will out drill them in any material and weigh 2 to 3 times as much.  That extra steel and cast iron makes for a very smooth running machine that really does drill straight holes.  The Nova weighs 300 pounds while the old iron weigh in at 500 to 800 pounds.
Delta radial ram drill here also...the adjustability and range of motion is unmatched. But, being 1/2" rated in steel, it ain't big enough, someday a 20" vintage WT or Delta will suppliment it.

Mine is an 87 model, only needed bearings in the idler shaft, all paint is original, paid $450. I did put a single phase motor on it, had that on the shelf.

Ed

I have owned a Nova for a couple of years now.  Sold my Clausing which was a great drill press.  The Nova I have will spin from 50 - 5000 rpms.  My understanding is that it maintains constant torque under load and that has been my experience.  I set it on 50 rpm with a larger bit and tried to stall it - couldn't do it.  It has more features than I will ever use.  So far, I have not regretted selling the Clausing and buying the Nova.  However, customer service is not the best.  The secretary has by far been the most helpful and knowledgeable about their products.

Lonnie
Since you have a good budget, get a radial drill press.
aquaticjim
[quote pid='7933758' dateline='1608605451']

As others have pointed out, there are a lot of the older Rockwells, Walker Turners and Powermatics that are a fraction of the costs of the new Asian machines, will out drill them in any material and weigh 2 to 3 times as much.  That extra steel and cast iron makes for a very smooth running machine that really does drill straight holes.  The Nova weighs 300 pounds while the old iron weigh in at 500 to 800 pounds.
[/quote]

Older Iron is hard to beat, if you can find it in good condition. 

If you are patient, they do pop up now and then.  I went through a significant period
   of 'making do' with a sub par craftsman bench model drill press.  Pushed it beyond its'
   limits at times.  But all the while looking for something better.  
   My patience paid off.

My late sixties Powermatic:  and yes, it is HEAVY.

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(12-21-2020, 08:40 PM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: A Walker Turner radial drill press with a three phase motor. Add on a variable frequency drive and you have the ultimate drilling machine.  

I did the same with an old Craftsman.  It's 'da bomb.  Doesn't weigh 900 pounds though 
Laugh

chris
(12-23-2020, 09:54 AM)doobes Wrote: I did the same with an old Craftsman.  It's 'da bomb.  Doesn't weigh 900 pounds though 
Laugh

That motor looks a lot like the (nearly) antique 1/3 hp Packard motor that lived on my drill press since I got it, up until maybe a decade ago.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My vote: go old school. I had a made in china Delta floor standing DP and sold it. I ended up with this beautiful Dunlop (Sears) benchtop unit that was brought back to life by a machinist in upstate New York. The runout specs on this unit absolutely kill the old Delta that I had been using.  I get great satisfaction using old American Iron, and I would encourage you to seek out a similar unit: its Outstanding!