Gas Fired, Power Vent, Water Heater??
Water heater is getting old, 20 years and still going but I'm starting to think about what replacement unit might be optimal.  Bradford White tank type in there now, but who knows if they've kept up their quality.  I know there are regional favorites, but I'm in NJ/Northeast if that makes any difference.  Looking for a manufacturer of good stuff and willing to pay for it.  Then there's the whole question of going with tankless heater. What's the musings/recommendation(s) of the brain trust?

thanks
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Put a B-W gas, pwr vent unit in the café just over a year ago. Works fine, no issues. It runs more there than it would in a home setting so time will tell.

Ed
Water heaters are like HVAC units. Only a couple manufacturers and they all use the same jellybean parts. The names you see stamped on them just depend on where you are.  I have had gas and electric and a friend swapped to a heatpump unit and we will be going that route when I move ours. The benefit of cooling and dehumidifying the garage and very low cost of operation is a winner.
Would the HP water heater be cheaper to run than one on nat gas?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-06-2021, 05:37 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Would the HP water heater be cheaper to run than one on nat gas?

50 Gallon heat pump operating cost of $104 per year and a 50 gallon condensing water heater is $259.

The Heat pump costs $300 more than the condensing gas one. It won't be too long until both regular electric and gas waterheaters go away as the heatpump ones pay for themselves pretty quickly. They cool the area they are in as well as dehumidify, no exhaust pipe no make up air...
(01-06-2021, 01:24 PM)Admiral Wrote: Water heater is getting old, 20 years and still going but I'm starting to think about what replacement unit might be optimal.  Bradford White tank type in there now, but who knows if they've kept up their quality.  I know there are regional favorites, but I'm in NJ/Northeast if that makes any difference.  Looking for a manufacturer of good stuff and willing to pay for it.  Then there's the whole question of going with tankless heater. What's the musings/recommendation(s) of the brain trust?

thanks

I installed a 50 gallon side vent Bradford White close to 10 years ago.  It's about a 12' run to the side wall.  Works fine with no problems so far.  Seems to be well insulated as it doesn't cycle very often.  I went with the side vent during a kitchen remodel.  The vent pipe for the previous heater went up thru a corner of the kitchen.  The boxed in corner space was 2' x 2' to house a 4-5" vent pipe!  I would buy another BW if it was time.

Lonnie
Our first unit lasted about 14 yrs. don’t recall what it was. The Bradford white we replaced it with only lasted about 11 yrs. the top fittings started to rust and began to fizzle. I was disappointed since BW was highly regarded. Last year had a a o smith installed. Time will tell. Our water is a bit on the hard side.
Your question is impossible to answer without more detail.  How many people in the house?  What are the water usage patterns?  What type of appliances are serviced by the water heater? 

The heat pumps have a very long recovery time so if you like long showers or have a large soaking tub, you will regret this option.  Also, the energy savings of all heat pumps, weather HVAC or hot water are way over rated.  Their savings are based on calculations, not reality.

If you only periodically use water, the tankless are the way to go since they are not maintaining a tank of hot water for standby.  However, they do not like low flow rates so they do not play well with dishwashers, some washing machines and if you like to trickle water into the tub to keep it hot.  There is also a lag in the time the water starts flowing and the unit can make hot water.

The traditional tank gas unit is the most reliable and can provide the best balance of quick hot water and a faster recovery rate.  The installation is also the lowest cost.  If you have a typical family of four, this is the sweet spot.  As for make, they all have a full range of 40 gallon cheap crap to the 80 gallon commercial units.
(01-06-2021, 09:08 PM)aquaticjim Wrote: Your question is impossible to answer without more detail.  How many people in the house?  What are the water usage patterns?  What type of appliances are serviced by the water heater? 

4 BR, 3 1/2 baths, dishwasher, washing machine, whirlpool tub; existing 75 gal tank heater, big house.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-06-2021, 07:37 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:            50 Gallon heat pump operating cost of $104 per year and a 50 gallon condensing water heater is $259.

The Heat pump costs $300 more than the condensing gas one. It won't be too long until both regular electric and gas waterheaters go away as the heatpump ones pay for themselves pretty quickly. They cool the area they are in as well as dehumidify, no exhaust pipe no make up air...

It depends on the climate you are in,  Texas is a lot different than New Jersey.   If they cool your basement while you are heating it not so good.   In cold areas you cannot have the water heater in a cold garage as pipes will freeze.     Also consider the water inlet temperature in winter may be in upper 30's.   Will it recover enough to have a hot shower. Same applys to tankless.
  Heat pump water heaters are not going to take over in cold climates for now.   Roly