Pulling stump
(01-02-2021, 04:45 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I have used the chain wrapped around the roots hooked to a rental Penske truck more than once... Works better than a tractor since the truck has allot more inertia since it's far heavier. 

Now for the stumps I have in the back yard to get rid of it'll take more than a 100 ton crane to get them out as they are post oak stumps the smallest is 12" diameter trunk up to around 20". Post oak grows extremely slowly so an 8" tree can easily be 75 years old or older. Extremely heavy hard and useless for woodworking as they are gnarly crooked trees but do have good burls from time to time.

the guy I sub stumps to charges $2 per inch to grind.  Not worth trying to pull anything more than a few inches that I can already wiggle.
I thought this was interesting. Pulling Stump
(01-02-2021, 10:59 PM)JosephP Wrote: the guy I sub stumps to charges $2 per inch to grind.  Not worth trying to pull anything more than a few inches that I can already wiggle.

Services are allot more expensive here in Texas. A stump from a 6" tree starts at $75. It's cheaper to just rent the machine and do it yourself here. If you have allot of stumps you can buy a small stump grinder for less than you can have someone do the work for you here. Which is typical of lots of services here as it is not a cheap place to live contrary to what people think. Cheap place if you are a business pricey for the individual once you start adding up all the fees taxes and higher costs of services.
(01-03-2021, 11:38 AM)Robert Adams Wrote:          Services are allot more expensive here in Texas. A stump from a 6" tree starts at $75. It's cheaper to just rent the machine and do it yourself here. If you have allot of stumps you can buy a small stump grinder for less than you can have someone do the work for you here. Which is typical of lots of services here as it is not a cheap place to live contrary to what people think. Cheap place if you are a business pricey for the individual once you start adding up all the fees taxes and higher costs of services.

I would charge $75 to take the grinder off of the trailer...I'm more than happy to send that work to somebody else who is more than happy to do them for less!
(12-25-2020, 12:25 AM)Bob10 Wrote: There is one I was considering using a cherry picker on, still might

Got lucky yesterday the tree blew over in the wind and popped the stump out with it
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I dug out a stump from a 15" diameter live water oak about two years ago. Only reason I messed with it was because the roots were growing to my septic.  Some of the roots were as big as the trunk.  The root ball was about 2.5-3'. I ended up using my chain saw and shovel for most of the removal.  Tried burning it but it would not catch.  What a job that was.
(01-06-2021, 08:50 AM)stav Wrote: I dug out a stump from a 15" diameter live water oak about two years ago. Only reason I messed with it was because the roots were growing to my septic.  Some of the roots were as big as the trunk.  The root ball was about 2.5-3'. I ended up using my chain saw and shovel for most of the removal.  Tried burning it but it would not catch.  What a job that was.

Chainsaw grooves down into the stump, then cover with a bag or 2 of charcoal.
May have to put a steel ring of some kind to keep the wind off of it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I would use the ULTIMATE back saving device....a checkbook....pay some young entrepreneur to do the dirty work.
(01-06-2021, 05:46 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Chainsaw grooves down into the stump, then cover with a bag or 2 of charcoal.
May have to put a steel ring of some kind to keep the wind off of it.

I have had to have multiple hot bonfires on top of stumps and it doesn't work well. Course I didn't do it the way the forestry service says to. Drill a bunch of holes in it with an augur bit soak with diesel a couple times over a few weeks then burn it.
(01-07-2021, 06:26 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:         I have had to have multiple hot bonfires on top of stumps and it doesn't work well. Course I didn't do it the way the forestry service says to. Drill a bunch of holes in it with an augur bit soak with diesel a couple times over a few weeks then burn it.

Holes are needed, as I use a chainsaw after I cut it down. I automatically cut grooves, just a habit, even in the woods/pasture. I want them to rot in the woods, and not have to brush hog over them for the next 20 years.
Laugh
If there are no holes, the fire just sits on top of a green stump doing basically nothing.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020