Ordering new Saw Stop
I'm getting ready to order a new Saw Stop Professional table saw with the 3 horsepower motor. I do have some questions about the dust collection system and the mobility kit and which one to order. I'm also wondering if there's any other tips that I should be aware of before I placed this order?

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
I bought my SS in 2012 at a local dealer.  I bought the integrated mobile base at the same time and got the overarm dust collection setup as a "freebie."

The overarm dust collection came at a later date; it wasn't provided on the spot.  That's no big deal since it's easy to install after the saw is in service.

The mobile base is a different story.  You want that on hand when you start the assembly.  If it has to be added later, that will be a chore.

If I could only get one or the other, I'd get the mobile base, and consider the dust collection setup at a later date.  There are many differing opinions on how well it works.  There are other dust collection setups that may be better.
Mobile kit - get the one for the ICS model if you work in tight space (you pay for an upgrade difference).

Hook up the dust port to a big dust collector for the  overarm dust collection to work well. Or, connect the overarm directly to a separate extractor. The dust port is not well designed. The dust blade guard itself is quite effective, capturing all or most of the dust save for edge cuts.

At another forum, people were not quite happy about the sawstop blades including the Titanium one. So look for other blades if you aren't ok with the stock blade after use.

If you plan to use a dado cutter, you need to buy a dado ZCI and cartridge as well.

Simon
(01-06-2021, 08:07 PM)WxMan Wrote: I bought my SS in 2012 at a local dealer.  I bought the integrated mobile base at the same time and got the overarm dust collection setup as a "freebie."

The overarm dust collection came at a later date; it wasn't provided on the spot.  That's no big deal since it's easy to install after the saw is in service.

The mobile base is a different story.  You want that on hand when you start the assembly.  If it has to be added later, that will be a chore.

If I could only get one or the other, I'd get the mobile base, and consider the dust collection setup at a later date.  There are many differing opinions on how well it works.  There are other dust collection setups that may be better.

What dust setup would you suggest?
(01-06-2021, 10:36 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Mobile kit - get the one for the ICS model if you work in tight space (you pay for an upgrade difference).

Hook up the dust port to a big dust collector for the  overarm dust collection to work well. Or, connect the overarm directly to a separate extractor. The dust port  is not well designed. The dust blade guard itself is quite effective, capturing all or most of the dust save for edge cuts.

At another forum, people were not quite happy about the sawstop blades including the Titanium one. So look for other blades if you aren't ok with the stock blade after use.

If you plan to use a dado cutter, you need to  buy a dado ZCI and cartridge as well.

Simon

Which over arm dust collection did you go with?  I don't plan on getting their blade because I have plenty of good blades already.
On mine, I had an Excalibur Overarm DC arrangement from my previous saw. This is the one SS bought, painted black, and now sells as their own. Mine is the original model of the Excalibur. Hooked to my DC ( a fairly stout DC) it captures probably 95%+ of the chips/dust. The stock guard that came with the saw wouldn't do anything when hooked to a DC, so if you choose to use it do the shop vac thing with it. Also, really, really consider getting the ICS base.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-07-2021, 02:55 AM)AztecKing Wrote: What dust setup would you suggest?

I'm not a good source of info for the overarm dust collection.  Mine sits (mainly) unused for two reasons.  First, for me, in my shop, my guard is normally not in position.  My sleds get a lot of use, I do a fair amount of very narrow ripping, and my dado gets heavy use.  Consequently, the guard is moved out of the way.  Second, My DC doesn't have the requisite suckage to do a good job on that collection setup.

(01-07-2021, 06:18 AM)fredhargis Wrote: On mine, I had an Excalibur Overarm DC arrangement from my previous saw. This is the one SS bought, painted black, and now sells as their own. Mine is the original model of the Excalibur. Hooked to my DC ( a fairly stout DC) it captures probably 95%+ of the chips/dust. The stock guard that came with the saw wouldn't do anything when hooked to a DC, so if you choose to use it do the shop vac thing with it. Also, really, really consider getting the ICS base.

I was happy at first in my garage shop with the integrated mobile base.  But, I didn't move the saw a lot.  My saw hasn't been moved in a number of years now, so it's still OK.  However, I think Fred is right.  If you're going to move the saw a lot, I'd recommend the ICS base.
I have found that the SS dust collector shroud works better with a shop vac: pic of hookup using ordinary SCH 40 PVC elbow and a few misc. fittings:

[Image: IMG-0792.jpg]
(01-07-2021, 02:58 AM)AztecKing Wrote: Which over arm dust collection did you go with?  I don't plan on getting their blade because I have plenty of good blades already.

Tbere's only one overarm dust collection from sawstop; the other one sawstop offers is an Excalibur-type tube (which requires adjusting when you cut lumber of different thicknesses), and the heavy tube is not as effective as the overarm dust blade guard.

As others and I pointed out, for best performance, hook up the overarm dust collection directly to a dust collector (via a Y-connector) or to a vac. The factory dust chut design is bad.

Ask Philip for more information as his design may save you some money: just get the dust blade guard and run your own hose (hung from the ceiling or a shopmade arm), without buying the overarm dust collection tubing.

Simon
(01-07-2021, 11:33 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Tbere's only one overarm dust collection from sawstop; the other one sawstop offers is an Excalibur-type tube (which requires adjusting when you cut lumber of different thicknesses), and the heavy tube is not as effective as the overarm dust blade guard.

Simon

Now wait a minute, it may depend on the definition of "effective", but the heavy tube picks up dust leagues better than the stock guard, at least in my experience. With the puny one on a shop vac, it still didn't catch the dust the tube does....but I concede I have a CV with the big impeller. There's also no adjusting when you cut different thicknesses, the basket floats up over anything up to probably 2 1/2" or so. I also concede the tube may be less handy when making blind cuts and yu have to move it out of the way....but to me the better DC is reason enough to use it. I sold the stock guard I had to someone with a Rigid, apparently it's a common conversion.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.