Missing locking nuts for Reliant Shaper
My sister is an admin-- her boss does woodworking on the side and bought some used Reliant DD32 shaper.  Doing some research, seems Reliant was the house brand for the now defunct Woodworkers Warehouse retail chain (i remember this company well)
Her boss tasked her with finding 2 missing nuts (heheheh) for the 1/2" bore shaft.  Looking at some vids online and such, it seems the top one was reverse thread. 
Not sure if it would just be easier to buy the whole 1/2" shaft with nuts on it already?  If so, what would work with this tool?
I'm finding more info online about a newer model i guess (DD34)... her boss has the DD32.

Colin
I had a reliant 3hp, kept as a second backup shaper. Sold it a few years ago.
I would imagine the nuts are the same as my powermatic, and a lot of others.
Ck with Grizzly. They will have nuts, and also the complete shaft....unless there is a China/Taiwan shipping problem.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Have you checked McMaster Carr?  If the rotation is reversible a LH thread would make no sense.  My old Grizzly used two jamb nuts on top.  Never had an issue.  

John
(01-13-2021, 11:20 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: My sister is an admin-- her boss does woodworking on the side and bought some used Reliant DD32 shaper.  Doing some research, seems Reliant was the house brand for the now defunct Woodworkers Warehouse retail chain (i remember this company well)
Her boss tasked her with finding 2 missing nuts (heheheh) for the 1/2" bore shaft.  Looking at some vids online and such, it seems the top one was reverse thread. 
Not sure if it would just be easier to buy the whole 1/2" shaft with nuts on it already?  If so, what would work with this tool?
I'm finding more info online about a newer model i guess (DD34)... her boss has the DD32.

Colin

My favorite place for hardware

Hex nuts, Stainless steel 18-8 - Left hand (reverse) thread - Bolt Depot

Or

https://www.mcmaster.com/left-hand-threaded-hex-nuts

--
See ya later,
Bill
(01-13-2021, 11:20 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: Looking at some vids online and such, it seems the top one was reverse thread.  

I can't get past this - if it has two nuts, they would both have the same thread.  And if the shaper is reversible, why would they bother with a LH thread, as asked earlier?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-14-2021, 08:07 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I can't get past this - if it has two nuts, they would both have the same thread.  And if the shaper is reversible, why would they bother with a LH thread, as asked earlier?

yeah, doesn't make much sense... just following what this guy said in this vid:
https://youtu.be/OOxs9I2Pjfs?t=299
(01-14-2021, 08:45 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: yeah, doesn't make much sense... just following what this guy said in this vid:
https://youtu.be/OOxs9I2Pjfs?t=299

I see it now - the bottom nut is on a larger thread.  Weird.  Never seen that before, though my shaper experience is limited to Delta HD's and a small 1/2" Craftsman from the 50's.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The left hand top double nut is a std import shaper configuration. Grizzly should have the part
(01-14-2021, 10:28 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I see it now - the bottom nut is on a larger thread.  Weird.  Never seen that before, though my shaper experience is limited to Delta HD's and a small 1/2" Craftsman from the 50's.

Yes. These aren't play toys like yours.
Laugh
All of these style/shape/size shapers have the shafts made that way.

Shaft has 2 different size threads for 2 different nuts. One on top of the other.

(01-14-2021, 02:32 PM)jar944 Wrote: The left hand top double nut is a std import shaper configuration. Grizzly should have the part

Yes.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Well the left hand top thread thats a smaller diameter than the primary right hand thread is limited to that specific general model (regardless of the brand sticker slapped on the front)

Double nuts on a common thread are more common but still not common outside of the little delta hd/pm 25-27 or some of the old American vintage shapers.

A single nut (or bolt in felders case) and a pinned or tabbed washer is the more common reversible spindle retention method currently.